One Man Lord of the Rings

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20 11:41 AM
      Someone named Charles Ross is touring with a show called the One Man Lord
      of the Rings. It's based on the Peter Jackson movies rather than the book.
      He is also known for doing the One Man Star Wars Trilogy. He has
      permission to do it from the Saul Zaentz Company, who now think that they own the
      rights to any play based on the films. For those of you who don't think
      that the films are driving out any knowledge in the public's mind of the
      book, notice that news stories about this show hardly mention the book and
      don't mention anything about the reaction of the Tolkien estate to the show.

      steps!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585064x1201462784/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
      JunestepsfooterNO62)

    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 21 8:23 PM
        --- WendellWag@... wrote:
        > Someone named Charles Ross is touring with a show called the One Man Lord of the Rings. It's based on the Peter Jackson movies rather than the book. He is also known for doing the One Man Star Wars Trilogy.

        I saw Ross perform the _Star Wars_ show in May. (Disclosure: he performed at the theater where I work.) I enjoyed it, and to all appearances so did the rest of the audience (though someone who had never seen the _Star Wars_ films would be lost). To me Ross's performance feels more like an elaborate stand-up comedy routine than a one-person play, with no set, no costumes, no props, and very simple lighting effects. Ross performed not only a couple dozen voices but also the sound effects, enhanced with some telling gestures. Occasionally he would step back and comment on the action from the viewer's perspective. Some friends who saw Ross perform _One Man Lord of the Rings_ at festivals in 2004-2005 said it was great fun.

        > He has permission to do it from the Saul Zaentz Company, who now think that they own the rights to any play based on the films.

        Zaentz's list of LOTR licensees includes the stage musical that played in Toronto and London (which at times leaned on the films) so I'm not sure that anything has changed. You can read the list here:

        http://www.tolkien-ent.com/current_licencees_pop.html

        As it happens, I just read a description of Zaentz's Tolkien properties in Kristin Thompson's book, _The Frodo Franchise_, pp. 19-20:

        << Zaentz acquired the film rights to _The Lord of the Rings_ from United Artists in 1976. He also obtained from the Tolkien Estate the trademarks for the names of all the characters, places, and objects in the novels. According to Unwin, however, "The 1969 contract, a complicated and ambiguous document especially in its definition of merchandising rights, has been a perpetual source of trouble, and although efforts are spasmodically made to redefine areas under dispute in the light of the new technologies that are now evolving, the [Tolkien] Estate and Fantasy Films have tended to block each other's actions and have consequently exploited very few non-book rights." Zaentz set up Tolkien Enterprises in 1978; the company licenses "dramatisations, musicals, puppet performances, services and merchandise using the Tolkien trademarks." >>

        (The square brackets are in Thompson. A footnote for the Unwin quote gives the source as p. 130 of _George Allen & Unwin: A Remembrancer_.) If Thompson's description is accurate, then Zaentz seems within his rights.

        > For those of you who don't think that the films are driving out any knowledge in the public's mind of the book, notice that news stories about this show hardly mention the book and don't mention anything about the reaction of the Tolkien estate to the show.

        For reference, here are some links:

        http://www.expressnightout.com/content/2009/06/an_epic_in_70_minutes_one_man_lord_of_th.php

        http://essentialwriters.com/one-man-lord-of-the-rings-2401.htm

        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/18/AR2009061801174.html

        But perhaps those who don't like Jackson's films (that includes me) might find they prefer Ross's show? Here's a link to his webpage, which appears to include short excerpts from the performance, that I haven't viewed yet:

        http://www.onemanlotr.com/

        (Unfortunately, that page is ridden with typos.)

        -Merlin DeTardo
      • not_thou
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2010
          Ross's show, which is touring the UK now [1], is coming to Cleveland for a half-dozen performaces in mid-April [2], so I'll get to see it myself, and will report back afterwards. (Wendell, did you see it when it played your area?)

          I seem to remember, from skimming some Mythcon reports in older issues of _Mythprint_, that these have seen one or more one-man performance adaptations of LOTR, from before the films' appearances. Is that correct?

          -Merlin

          [1] Ross has been blogging his travels, though he has written little about the show itself: http://onemanlotr.com/

          [2] http://www.clevelandplayhouse.com/se-ff.asp

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 20, 2010
            In a message dated 2/19/2010 11:11:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, emptyD@... writes:

            Ross's show, which is touring the UK now [1], is coming to Cleveland for a half-dozen performaces in mid-April [2], so I'll get to see it myself, and will report back afterwards. (Wendell, did you see it when it played your area?)

            No, I didn't see it.

            I seem to remember, from skimming some Mythcon reports in older issues of _Mythprint_, that these have seen one or more one-man performance adaptations of LOTR, from before the films' appearances. Is that correct?

            Does anyone remember the name of the guy who did the one-man version of The Lord of the Rings at the Tolkien Centenary in Oxford in 1992?

            Wendell Wagner
          • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 20, 2010
              WendellWag@... wrote:

              > Does anyone remember the name of the guy who did the one-man version of
              > /The Lord of the Rings/ at the Tolkien Centenary in Oxford in 1992?

              That was Rob Inglis.

              He is also the reader in an audio book version of _The Lord of the
              Rings_. I have not heard it, but it has been well reviewed, e.g.
              here: <http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_tolkien_lotraudio.html>.

              Chivalrous greetings,

              Beregond
            • Linda DeMars
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 20, 2010
                I did hear one of Inglis's recording once when I borrowed "The Two Towers", I think, from a shop who rented out CDs,  etc. That series has been on my wish list since then.

                Linda DeMars

                On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 2:03 PM, "Beregond, Anders Stenström" <beregond@...> wrote:

                WendellWag@... wrote:

                > Does anyone remember the name of the guy who did the one-man version of
                > /The Lord of the Rings/ at the Tolkien Centenary in Oxford in 1992?

                That was Rob Inglis.

                He is also the reader in an audio book version of _The Lord of the
                Rings_. I have not heard it, but it has been well reviewed, e.g.
                here: <http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_tolkien_lotraudio.html>.

                Chivalrous greetings,

                Beregond

              • John Rateliff
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 24, 2010
                  A portion of Inglis' one-man-show can be seen on one of the Tolkien documentaries, though I forget which one, or whether it came out at the time of the centennial or around the time of the "author of the millennium" boom.
                  Not a big fan of his unabridged recording, though; it's a bit too monotone for my tastes. I'd love to see an all new recording of the whole thing. I had high hopes when I learned that the Kindle e-book reader had a "read aloud" option, but it turns out to be a computer voice, alas.
                  --John R.