Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter, an 11 year old view

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2000
      There's a difference between mixed good/bad people and mixed moral
      messages. _The Lord of the Rings_, for instance, has the former but not
      the latter. "Good and evil have not changed since yesterday," Aragorn
      says (approx. quote), "nor are they one thing among elves and dwarves and
      another among men."

      I've also seen a lot of fantasies that seem to have mixed moral messages
      but black-and-white characters.

      IMHO, it is more important for authors to show that their characters are
      human, with flaws and less-than-pure desires and impulses, than to show
      their postmodern (or whatever) sensibility by demonstrating that good and
      bad are not absolute. At least for some readers, Tolkien and Lewis are
      demonstrations that you can have absolute black-and-white moral messages
      without rigid situations or cardboard characters.

      David Bratman
    • Mary Kay Kare
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2000
        "David S. Bratman" wrote:

        > I was writing pretty much like that when I was 11. And that's not
        > boasting: I'm sure most of us here were.
        >
        > I don't think there's anything wrong with objecting to mixed moral
        > messages and squeamy situations. The kid has a point. I followed him
        > right up until he recommended Redwall. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

        You think there are Satanic references in Harry Potter? That's what
        he said.

        MKK
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2000
          In a message dated 8/4/00 1:10:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kare@...
          writes:

          << You think there are Satanic references in Harry Potter? >>

          Yeah, there are, but you got to look for them in the same way that people
          look for messages in rock music. Look at the sixth sentence of the sixth
          paragraph of the sixth chapter of the first book. (666 - get it?) Reading
          backward from the end of the sentence and taking every sixth letter, you get
          "All power to our Lord Satan. Sacrifice our parents on his altar." Using
          techniques like this on other sections of the Harry Potter books, I've also
          found "Paul is dead," "Turn me on, dead man," "I buried Paul," "Kilroy was
          here," "Whazzup?," "Louie, Louie, me gotta go," "Who is Keyser Sose?," and
          "Toynbee ideas in Kubrick's 2001, resurrect dead on planet Jupiter."

          Am I the only one who's noticed this?

          Wendell Wagner
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2000
            In a message dated 8/5/00 12:07:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            > Look at the sixth sentence of the sixth
            > paragraph of the sixth chapter of the first book. (666 - get it?)

            Why not the sixth book?
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2000
              Well, we haven't seen the sixth book yet. Perhaps the *real* meaning will be
              revealed there.