Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter, an 11 year old view

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2000
      I was writing pretty much like that when I was 11. And that's not
      boasting: I'm sure most of us here were.

      I don't think there's anything wrong with objecting to mixed moral
      messages and squeamy situations. The kid has a point. I followed him
      right up until he recommended Redwall. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

      David Bratman
    • Christine Howlett
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2000
        From the vantage point of 40+ years, the 'mixed messages' really did not
        bother me. The people seemed quite real, as versus cardboard saints. The
        villains are less mixed - it's hard to find a redeeming trait in most of
        them, though I notice the 4th book has a 'villain' who is simply weak and
        willing to delude himself (that's not a spoiler, is it?). My roommate says
        11 is appropriate to object to mixed good-bad types. I think an 11 year old
        must have met some pretty mixed types already. Like his parents, his
        mixed lot. Oh well, different countries heard from.
        Christine

        >I was writing pretty much like that when I was 11. And that's not
        >boasting: I'm sure most of us here were.
        >
        >I don't think there's anything wrong with objecting to mixed moral
        >messages and squeamy situations. The kid has a point. I followed him
        >right up until he recommended Redwall. Oh well, nobody's perfect.
        >
        >David Bratman

      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2000
          There's a difference between mixed good/bad people and mixed moral
          messages. _The Lord of the Rings_, for instance, has the former but not
          the latter. "Good and evil have not changed since yesterday," Aragorn
          says (approx. quote), "nor are they one thing among elves and dwarves and
          another among men."

          I've also seen a lot of fantasies that seem to have mixed moral messages
          but black-and-white characters.

          IMHO, it is more important for authors to show that their characters are
          human, with flaws and less-than-pure desires and impulses, than to show
          their postmodern (or whatever) sensibility by demonstrating that good and
          bad are not absolute. At least for some readers, Tolkien and Lewis are
          demonstrations that you can have absolute black-and-white moral messages
          without rigid situations or cardboard characters.

          David Bratman
        • Mary Kay Kare
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2000
            "David S. Bratman" wrote:

            > I was writing pretty much like that when I was 11. And that's not
            > boasting: I'm sure most of us here were.
            >
            > I don't think there's anything wrong with objecting to mixed moral
            > messages and squeamy situations. The kid has a point. I followed him
            > right up until he recommended Redwall. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

            You think there are Satanic references in Harry Potter? That's what
            he said.

            MKK
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2000
              In a message dated 8/4/00 1:10:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kare@...
              writes:

              << You think there are Satanic references in Harry Potter? >>

              Yeah, there are, but you got to look for them in the same way that people
              look for messages in rock music. Look at the sixth sentence of the sixth
              paragraph of the sixth chapter of the first book. (666 - get it?) Reading
              backward from the end of the sentence and taking every sixth letter, you get
              "All power to our Lord Satan. Sacrifice our parents on his altar." Using
              techniques like this on other sections of the Harry Potter books, I've also
              found "Paul is dead," "Turn me on, dead man," "I buried Paul," "Kilroy was
              here," "Whazzup?," "Louie, Louie, me gotta go," "Who is Keyser Sose?," and
              "Toynbee ideas in Kubrick's 2001, resurrect dead on planet Jupiter."

              Am I the only one who's noticed this?

              Wendell Wagner
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2000
                In a message dated 8/5/00 12:07:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
                WendellWag@... writes:

                > Look at the sixth sentence of the sixth
                > paragraph of the sixth chapter of the first book. (666 - get it?)

                Why not the sixth book?
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2000
                  Well, we haven't seen the sixth book yet. Perhaps the *real* meaning will be
                  revealed there.