Catholicism, LOTR, and mythology

  • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 11 11:44 AM
      Alana's point in quoting "On Fairy Stories" is something that has been in
      the back of my mind, as the discussion has progressed.

      But I will go further, in referencing Tolkien's own outlook in the
      correlation of Christianity and mythology and the effect on storytelling.
      It is evident in the poem "Mythopoesis" and his discussion with Lewis on
      the night of Lewis' final conversion to Christianity. Lewis was wrestling
      with the multiplicity of similar myths and the claimed truthfulness of the
      Christian story.

      What Tolkien put forward, and I think it informs ALL of his thinking on
      the matter of parallels, is that the story of Christ (man and god) is the
      ONE TRUE MYTH, and that all others are not *lies* but instead, are partial
      and incomplete reflections of the one reality. What other religions may
      make of those partial reflections *might* take them further away from God,
      but that does not invalidate the part of the Truth that they do indeed
      exemplify.

      I believe that from that starting point of thought, the similarities
      between Odin on the World Tree and Christ on the Cross did not distrub
      Tolkien. Whether or not the Odin story predated the appearance of
      Christianity in the Northern cultures became irrelevent (to him at least).
      Precedence in appearance in time did not mean it was "the original" --
      "the original myth" has its existence *outside time*. Everything within
      time (excluding the historical life of Jesus, which is part of the
      original eternal) is a reflection of the eternal myth. From there, I
      think Tolkien considered his own secondary creation yet another of the
      reflections of the eternal, one he hoped stayed as close as possible to
      the original form. There are certainly more letters that reflect that
      level of thinking, when he talks about his secondary creation, besides the
      oft-cited one that was early cited in this discussion.

      Sarah

      Sarah Beach

      www.scribblerworks.us
      323-632-1786
    • David Emerson
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 15 8:36 AM
        Luthien: Alas! My beloved has perished! I must go to the Halls of Mandos to beg --
        Beren: I'm not dead yet.
        Luthien: Shh! To beg Mandos to bring him back --
        Beren: I don't want to go on the cart.
        Luthien: Shut up! I'm having a dramatic moment here.
        Beren: I feel happy...
        Luthien: (Nods to nearest elf with big club)
        Big Club: Thud.