Re: [mythsoc] Re: Catholicism and Lord of the Rings

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 11, 2009
      On Jun 11, 2009, at 4:32 AM, John Davis wrote:

      > >Catholic thought is not consistent with moral relativism.
      > >There _is_ real truth, there _is_ real evil,although
      > >there are areas of difficulty in discerning them at times.
      >
      > Here I fear you are straying from discussion about myths - be they
      > Christian or otherwise - into dogmatic statements of belief in such
      > things.

      No, he isn't, John.

      Jef is stating one of the most crucial elements that distinguish the
      Catholic world view of both Tolkien and _LotR_ from that of (most)
      modernist/humanist/pagan authors and works.
      > The lists people have given of evidence of Christian/Catholic
      > elements to characters and the world do indeed show this. But
      > similar lists could and have been drawn up - often with the same
      > elements - to show evidence of non Christian elements.

      I would like to see your list. My suspicion (see below) is that you
      have a very narrow view of Catholic theology, philosophy, and
      metaphysics, and wrongly exclude categories from it.
      > What is Theoden's belief in the halls of his ancestors if not a
      > version of Norse beliefs?

      That there are pagan peoples in Middle-earth no more renders _LotR_ or
      its worldview pagan than does the presence of many, many pagan peoples
      in the Bible renders it or its worldview pagan. The fact remains that
      while Theoden's belief here is never affirmed for Middle-earth, either
      by Tolkien or by the Wise, what is affirmed by these shows that the
      nature of Middle-earth is metaphysically, theologically, and
      philosophically Catholic (again, though, within the context of its pre-
      Christian, pre-Covenant setting), and thus amply supports Tolkien's
      own characterization of _LotR_ as "fundamentally Catholic".
      > What are elves and nature spirits if not the very things that
      > Wiccans and neo-Pagans believe in and worship?

      Neither elves nor spirits nor even (small-g) gods (which latter are in
      fact referred to in the Bible) are inherently excluded by Judeo-
      Christian tradition (which moreover positively affirms belief in both
      angels and demons): the crucial difference is that they are not
      accorded worship, nor do they possess any authority over man (save
      what we choose to give them) or any truth independent of God (who is
      Truth itself).
      > What is a barrow wight if not a Neolithic ancestor-god demonised by
      > Christianity (they were once fine men, to paraphrase)?

      Where on earth does Tolkien give _any_ indication that his barrow
      wight is "a Neolithic ancestor-god demonised by Christianity"? His
      wights are the lingering spirits of deceased men. Period. Catholic
      theology does not exclude the possibility of lingering spirits of
      deceased men. Moreover, Tolkien's wight hasn't been "demonised" by
      _anyone_: it really truly _is_ a malevolent spirit.
      > What is the song of the Ainur if not a very literal interpretation
      > of the Hindu Song of Creation?

      In Catholic theology God created the angels before He created the
      world, and he brought the world into existence through His Word. And
      there are in fact among the Church Fathers some suggestions that
      angels aided in the creation and ordering of the world. So Tolkien
      here extends Catholic theology creatively, but does not contradict it
      in any fundamental way.
      > Who are the Istari if not Buddhist Avatars?

      Tolkien tells us that they are messengers: i.e., _angels_. There is no
      hint that they are Buddhist _anythings_.
      > The answer, of course, is that they are also representative of
      > Christian beliefs, and no doubt many other beliefs besides.

      Except that in order to make them "representative" of those other
      beliefs, you've imported elements not actually present in Tolkien's
      depictions ("worship", "demonised Neolithic ancestor-god", "avatar",
      etc.); each of which in fact demonstrates an important _distinction_
      between the worldview of _LotR_ and the pagan worldview.
      > So to repeat my point, because something is compatible with
      > Christian belief, that does not make it solely Christian.

      No one said that it did, John. You're defending a position that no one
      has (yet) argued against. But neither does the presence of what might
      seem at first to be pagan elements render _LotR_ un-Catholic.
      > As a final aside - and I admit to a personal bugbear here - I have
      > often come upon a tendency of Christianity to claim all that is good
      > as Christian. And this seems to be an example of this. Something may
      > be good, and/or reflect and be consistent with Christianity, without
      > _being_ Christian, or at least, without being other things as well.

      Again, you are defending a position that no one has (yet) argued
      against. In fact, Jef specifically cited the Catholic concept of
      Natural Law, which holds your very point: that goodness and virtue can
      and do exist even among pagans. But it also holds that that goodness
      and virtue is ultimately due to God, who creates us all and inscribes
      the Natural Law in all our hearts.

      Carl
    • David Emerson
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 15, 2009
        Luthien: Alas! My beloved has perished! I must go to the Halls of Mandos to beg --
        Beren: I'm not dead yet.
        Luthien: Shh! To beg Mandos to bring him back --
        Beren: I don't want to go on the cart.
        Luthien: Shut up! I'm having a dramatic moment here.
        Beren: I feel happy...
        Luthien: (Nods to nearest elf with big club)
        Big Club: Thud.