OT Re: [mythsoc] Re: Catholicism and Lord of the Rings

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2009
      Hi Jeff,

      Getting rather off-topic now, but...

      >And this is true...why? Because you say it is? Catholicism
      >insists there is such a thing as objective truth. Moral relativism
      >suggests that reality is subjective. Can you provide an example
      >of how you believe these two are consistent?

      Catholocisim says that there is such a thing as objective truth. Moral relativism says that it is fine for Catholics to believe this, but holds that this is only their subjective opinion.

      Therefore Catholic thought is not consistent with - which is to say does not admit within its framework - moral relativism; but Moral relativism is consistent with - which is to say does admit within its framework - Catholic thought.

      In other words it's kind of like a nested table - moral relativism encompasses Catholic thought, but Catholic thought does not encompass moral relativism.

      Now personally I do not adhere to moral relativism - I believe that there probably are objective truths, but that they are wholly unknowable, or at least unprovable. But that is irrelevant!

      I don't mind discussing this further if you wish, but as it is very off topic, perhaps you'd best take it off-list and email me direct.

      John

    • jef.murray
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2009
        Ah, quite right! I'd not caught the subtlety in the
        heat of battle. Mea culpa.

        Nevertheless, there is still an inconsistency, as moral
        relativism doesn't usually stop at saying that belief in
        truth is just subjective...it usually proceeds to suggest
        that belief in objective truth is _wrong_. To do otherwise
        is to suggest that moral relativism is wrong, which we
        obviously can't have if we "believe" in moral relativism ;-)

        Jef