Re: Catholicism and Lord of the Rings

  • jef.murray
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 11, 2009
      John,

      You wrote:

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "John Davis" <john@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jeff,
      >

      > >Catholic thought is not consistent with moral relativism.
      > >There _is_ real truth, there _is_ real evil,although
      > >there are areas of difficulty in discerning them at times.
      >
      > Ah, but moral relativism is consistent with Catholic thought! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

      And this is true...why? Because you say it is? Catholicism
      insists there is such a thing as objective truth. Moral relativism
      suggests that reality is subjective. Can you provide an example
      of how you believe these two are consistent?

      Jef
    • David Emerson
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 15, 2009
        Luthien: Alas! My beloved has perished! I must go to the Halls of Mandos to beg --
        Beren: I'm not dead yet.
        Luthien: Shh! To beg Mandos to bring him back --
        Beren: I don't want to go on the cart.
        Luthien: Shut up! I'm having a dramatic moment here.
        Beren: I feel happy...
        Luthien: (Nods to nearest elf with big club)
        Big Club: Thud.