Re: [mythsoc] Re: Catholicism and Lord of the Rings

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 10, 2009
      On Jun 10, 2009, at 8:57 AM, John Davis wrote:
      > I have a feeling that as - presumably - a Christian, mayhap a
      > Catholic, you see evidence of Catholicism everywhere in LotR. A
      > pagan will see evidence of Paganism. I see great evidence of
      > Humanism. This is a natural tendency, but care must be taken not to
      > fall into the trap of thinking 'all that is Christian/Pagan/belief
      > of choice is good, therefore all that is good is Christian/Pagan/
      > belief of choice and nothing else'.

      Incidently, for a look at pagan elements in Tolkien (and Lewis), see
      Ronald Hutton's chapter "The Inklings and the Gods" in his book
      WITCHES, DRUIDS, AND KING ARTHUR [2003]. An interesting and thought-
      provoking piece, despite one humongous gaff.

      > Perhaps it is safest then to say merely that LotR is a
      > fundamentally spiritual work, written by a Catholic.

      Or, as Tolkien put it in a letter to W. H. Auden, "I don't feel under
      any obligation to make my story fit with formalized Christian
      theology" (Letters p. 355). He immediately followed this up with
      ". . . though I actually intended it to be consonant with Christian
      thought and belief". He makes a similar point in his interview with
      Denis Gueroult about creating a world that is consonant with his Xian
      beliefs rather than explicitly Xian.

      Jef Murray wrote
      > The Rohirrim were certainly based in part on the Vikings, and some
      > of their beliefs reflect aspects of Viking culture. Nevertheless,
      > there is
      > nothing specifically pagan about believing in an afterlife.

      Actually, they're Old English, not Vikings.

      Jef also wrote
      > I see evidence of Catholicism in LOTR because it's there for
      > anyone to see, not because I'm reading it into the text. For clear
      > and unequivocal examples, please see Carl's recent list of why many
      > of Tolkien's characters are recognizably Catholic, or please see
      > Peter Kreeft's book, mentioned previously.

      Um, isn't this like saying something like he looks at a rainbow and
      sees blue because he projects blue onto everything, whereas I see
      rainbows as red because that's obviously and objectively the color
      rainbows are?

      In any case, I'd steer away from Kreeft's book, which suffers badly
      from the 'quote C. S. Lewis and assert that he speaks for Tolkien'
      phenomenon. He's also a little careless with details -- for example,
      he thinks it was Pippin who fought the Nazgul alongside Eowyn, and
      doesn't seem to know that Galadriel was an elf, not a Maia.

      --JDR

    • David Emerson
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 15, 2009
        Luthien: Alas! My beloved has perished! I must go to the Halls of Mandos to beg --
        Beren: I'm not dead yet.
        Luthien: Shh! To beg Mandos to bring him back --
        Beren: I don't want to go on the cart.
        Luthien: Shut up! I'm having a dramatic moment here.
        Beren: I feel happy...
        Luthien: (Nods to nearest elf with big club)
        Big Club: Thud.