RE: [mythsoc] Re: Catholicism and Lord of the Rings

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 5, 2009
      Is there any scholarship using the drafts for LOTR to examine this question? Do the drafts show Tolkien making revisions that reflect his Catholicism? Or did Tolkien mean merely that he became aware as he revised that the text expressed his Catholicism, and that he kept what he'd already written?

      -Merlin DeTardo

      Sounds like a area where we need some scholarship, hint hint.

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Associate Professor
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@... <mailto:jbcroft@...>
      http://libraries.ou.edu/
      Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
      http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html

    • David Emerson
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 15, 2009
        Luthien: Alas! My beloved has perished! I must go to the Halls of Mandos to beg --
        Beren: I'm not dead yet.
        Luthien: Shh! To beg Mandos to bring him back --
        Beren: I don't want to go on the cart.
        Luthien: Shut up! I'm having a dramatic moment here.
        Beren: I feel happy...
        Luthien: (Nods to nearest elf with big club)
        Big Club: Thud.