Re: Catholicism and Lord of the Rings

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 5, 2009
      --- David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      > In the letter, Tolkien says the Catholicism is "unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision." It seems to me that addresses the question of to what extent the ideas were deliberately expressed in the writing, and to what extent it was retroactive interpretation.
      > Especially as Tolkien says it was initially unconscious, I see no reason to second-guess him in the matter.

      Is there any scholarship using the drafts for LOTR to examine this question? Do the drafts show Tolkien making revisions that reflect his Catholicism? Or did Tolkien mean merely that he became aware as he revised that the text expressed his Catholicism, and that he kept what he'd already written?

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • David Emerson
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 15, 2009
        Luthien: Alas! My beloved has perished! I must go to the Halls of Mandos to beg --
        Beren: I'm not dead yet.
        Luthien: Shh! To beg Mandos to bring him back --
        Beren: I don't want to go on the cart.
        Luthien: Shut up! I'm having a dramatic moment here.
        Beren: I feel happy...
        Luthien: (Nods to nearest elf with big club)
        Big Club: Thud.