Re: [mythsoc] Catholicism and Lord of the Rings

  • Diego SeguĂ­
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 5, 2009
      Another important Tolkien letter which I believe has not been mentioned in this thread is #213 to Deborah Webster (1958). In discussing the significance of biographical details in literary criticism, he says:

      "I am a Christian (which can be deduced from my stories), and in fact a Roman Catholic. The latter 'fact' perhaps cannot be deduced; though one critic (by letter) asserted that the invocations of Elbereth, and the character of Galadriel as directly described (or through the words of Gimli and Sam) were clearly related to Catholic devotion to Mary. Another saw in waybread (lembas) = viaticum and the reference to its feeding the will (vol. III, p. 213) and being more potent when fasting, a derivation from the Eucharist."

      On a side note, I remember more than 15 years ago lending "The Hobbit" to a guy who only knew that Tolkien had written a famous fantasy book called TLotR. When he returned it, he asked: "Tolkien was a Catholic, wasn't he?" I answered yes, and asked how he knew. He said, "Oh, he just seems to be". We lost touch, and I never got a chance of asking again what he had meant, but to this day I am still wondering how he did it, or whether he was just pulling my leg.

      Regards,

      Diego SeguĂ­
    • David Emerson
      Message 51 of 51 , Jun 15, 2009
        Luthien: Alas! My beloved has perished! I must go to the Halls of Mandos to beg --
        Beren: I'm not dead yet.
        Luthien: Shh! To beg Mandos to bring him back --
        Beren: I don't want to go on the cart.
        Luthien: Shut up! I'm having a dramatic moment here.
        Beren: I feel happy...
        Luthien: (Nods to nearest elf with big club)
        Big Club: Thud.