Re: [mythsoc] Another Tolkien letter at Christie's

    Message 1 of 6 , May 28 12:14 PM
      Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

      >I've never read Grotta's biography. I guess I should.

      Grotta's primary value is his interviews with and quotes from a number of Tolkien's more peripheral friends who don't happen to appear in Carpenter. This is because Carpenter was writing a documentary biography while Grotta had to scavenge around in the middens. Some of his findings provide modestly useful additional perspectives, and Mroczkowski's is one.
    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28 12:19 PM
        Wayne wrote:

        > >I've never read Grotta's biography. I guess I should.

        > Read it, by all means, just don't necessarily trust its accuracy.

        That's what I have heard before. Based on what I have been told, it didn't seem worth taking the time.

        > There are also four references to Professor Mroczkowski in the Chronology
        > volume of The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide.

        Why am I not surprised? ;-) That's what I get for asking a question from work, rather than waiting until I can go home and check the obvious source first. I'll check those references as soon as I get home.

        Thanks, Wayne!