Re: [mythsoc] Another Tolkien letter at Christie's

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2009
      >I've never read Grotta's biography. I guess I should.

      Read it, by all means, just don't necessarily trust its accuracy.

      There are also four references to Professor Mroczkowski in the Chronology
      volume of The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide.

      Wayne

      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2009
        Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

        >I've never read Grotta's biography. I guess I should.

        Grotta's primary value is his interviews with and quotes from a number of Tolkien's more peripheral friends who don't happen to appear in Carpenter. This is because Carpenter was writing a documentary biography while Grotta had to scavenge around in the middens. Some of his findings provide modestly useful additional perspectives, and Mroczkowski's is one.
      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2009
          Wayne wrote:

          > >I've never read Grotta's biography. I guess I should.

          > Read it, by all means, just don't necessarily trust its accuracy.

          That's what I have heard before. Based on what I have been told, it didn't seem worth taking the time.

          > There are also four references to Professor Mroczkowski in the Chronology
          > volume of The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide.

          Why am I not surprised? ;-) That's what I get for asking a question from work, rather than waiting until I can go home and check the obvious source first. I'll check those references as soon as I get home.

          Thanks, Wayne!