Re: [mythsoc] Another Tolkien letter at Christie's

    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2009
      Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

      >A friend pointed out to me that there is another
      >Tolkien letter being auctioned by Christie's.
      >This one was written to a Professor Przemyslaw
      Mroczkowski in January 1964. I'm curious as to
      >whether anyone knows anything about Prof. Mrockzkowski.

      Polish professor of English. Wrote books called "Chaucer to Chesterton: English classics from Polish perspective" and "The medievalism of G.K. Chesterton: a critical enquiry." And that's just what's actually in English. There is an essay about Tolkien and Lewis in his 1975 book (in Polish), "Dzentelmeni i poeci: Eseje z literatury angielskiej" (trans: "Gentlemen and Poets: Essays on English Literature") (see http://www.forodrim.org/bibliography/tolklist.html)

      In Grotta's biography (1978 ed., p. 78) he is described as "a Polish scholar who became friends with Tolkien shortly after World War II, and is at present a professor of English philology at the Jagiellonian University in Cracow." Grotta quotes from several letters of Tolkien's to him, and his thoughts on Tolkien and his works.
    • Doug Kane
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2009
        Thanks, David! You were high on the list of people that I expected would be able to fill me in. I've never read Grotta's biography. I guess I should.

        >A friend pointed out to me that there is another
        >Tolkien letter being auctioned by Christie's.
        >This one was written to a Professor Przemyslaw
        Mroczkowski in January 1964. I'm curious as to
        >whether anyone knows anything about Prof. Mrockzkowski.

        Polish professor of English. Wrote books called "Chaucer to Chesterton: English classics from Polish perspective" and "The medievalism of G.K. Chesterton: a critical enquiry." And that's just what's actually in English. There is an essay about Tolkien and Lewis in his 1975 book (in Polish), "Dzentelmeni i poeci: Eseje z literatury angielskiej" (trans: "Gentlemen and Poets: Essays on English Literature") (see http://www.forodrim.org/bibliography/tolklist.html)

        In Grotta's biography (1978 ed., p. 78) he is described as "a Polish scholar who became friends with Tolkien shortly after World War II, and is at present a professor of English philology at the Jagiellonian University in Cracow." Grotta quotes from several letters of Tolkien's to him, and his thoughts on Tolkien and his works.

      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2009
          >I've never read Grotta's biography. I guess I should.

          Read it, by all means, just don't necessarily trust its accuracy.

          There are also four references to Professor Mroczkowski in the Chronology
          volume of The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide.

          Wayne

          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2009
            Doug Kane <dougkane@...> wrote:

            >I've never read Grotta's biography. I guess I should.

            Grotta's primary value is his interviews with and quotes from a number of Tolkien's more peripheral friends who don't happen to appear in Carpenter. This is because Carpenter was writing a documentary biography while Grotta had to scavenge around in the middens. Some of his findings provide modestly useful additional perspectives, and Mroczkowski's is one.
          • Doug Kane
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2009
              Wayne wrote:

              > >I've never read Grotta's biography. I guess I should.

              > Read it, by all means, just don't necessarily trust its accuracy.

              That's what I have heard before. Based on what I have been told, it didn't seem worth taking the time.

              > There are also four references to Professor Mroczkowski in the Chronology
              > volume of The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide.

              Why am I not surprised? ;-) That's what I get for asking a question from work, rather than waiting until I can go home and check the obvious source first. I'll check those references as soon as I get home.

              Thanks, Wayne!