[mythsoc] academic criticism of Twilight

  • Dallas Robbins
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2009
      I am usually a lurker around these parts, but I couldn't think of a smarter
      group to ask about this.

      I'm looking for critical and/or academic treatment of Stephenie Meyer's
      Twilight books. Either published in a journal or presented at a conference
      is fine with me. At this point, the closest items I find were reviews
      published in Atlantic Monthly and the London Review of Books.

      If anyone knows of anything, please contact me. Thanks!

      Dallas Robbins
      dallasrobbins@...

    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2009
        There were two panels and an individual paper at Southwest/ Texas Popular Culture Association this year. If you go to http://swtxpca.org/documents/Southwest%20Texas%20Program2009_FinalO.pdf you can find contact information for the panelists.

        Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight Series
        Panel Chair: Marijane Osborn, University of California, Davis
        The Twilight of Feminism?: Empowerment, Post-feminism and the Tween
        Fansite
        Amy Clarke, University of California, Davis
        Monstrosity in the ‘Twilight’ Zone
        Janice Hawes, South Carolina State University
        Transgressing Twilight Boundaries
        Keri Wolf, University of California, Davis

        Bridging Adult World Realities with Vampires
        Panel Chair: Erika J. Galluppi
        Blood Loss, Hair Growth, and Sexual Alertness: Folkloric Characters
        Bridging Adult World Realities in the Twilight
        Tasha Vice, Texas Tech University
        The Twilight Phenomenon: Or, Why We Like Our Vampires Sexy
        Stephanie Dowdle, Salt Lake Community College
        "Are You a Good Vampire or a Bad Vampire?": Thirst, Liminality, and
        Love in M.T. Anderson's Thirsty and Stephanie Meyer's Twilight
        Erika J. Galluppi, East Carolina University

        Rowling vs. Meyer: Taking a Bite (or Two) Out of Stephenie Meyer’s
        Twilight Series
        Alexandra Pirkle, Texas A & M University Commerce

        Looks like there were also papers and panels at the national conference (http://pcaaca.org/conference/pcaacaprogram.pdf for contact info)

        ―Vampire Meals in Forks, Washington: The Twilight Phenomenon‖
        Jack Estes, Borough of Manhattan Community College/CUNY

        ―Shades of Bromance between Vamps and Weres: Homoerotics and the Trafficking
        of Women in Sookie Stackhouse and Twilight‖
        Jennifer Moskowitz, Morningside College
        ―The Vampire Who Loved Me: The Modern Vampire Hero in Stephanie Meyers‘
        Twilight Series and Charlaine Harris‘s Sookie Stackhouse Series‖
        Heide Crawford

        ―A Veneer of Vampirism: A Feminist Reading of Relationships in Stephenie
        Meyer‘s Twilight Saga‖
        Drennan Spitzer

        2216 The Vampire in Literature, Culture, & Film VIII: Stephenie Meyer‘s
        Twilight Series I
        Chair: Karma Waltonen, University of California-Davis
        ―Dying to Grow Up: Coming of Age via Vampirism in The Lost Boys, Twilight,
        ‗Cherry,‘ and Others‖
        Tracey F. Lander, CUNY-Brooklyn College
        ―The Vampiric Sublime: How Vampires in True Blood and Twilight Unify Man and
        Nature‖
        Sarah Maitland, The University of Rhode Island
        ―Fangs for Friends: Demythologizing the Vampire in Stephenie Meyer‘s Twilight‖
        Todd Aldridge, Auburn University
        ―The Twilight of Sexuality: Blood in the Bella Swan Series‖
        Karma Waltone

        3191 Science Fiction & Fantasy XVII: Taking the TWILIGHT Saga to Task: A
        Roundtable Presentation and Discussion
        Chair: Tanya R. Cochran, Union College
        Panelists: Samuel Banford, Utah Valley University; Tanya R. Cochran, Union
        College; Jennifer Farrell, Milwaukee School of Engineering; Gianna Martella,
        Western Oregon University; Thomas Parham, Azusa Pacific University; and
        Rhonda V. Wilcox, Gordon College
        Touching on topics from (anti)feminism to fandom, from the violation of vampire
        lore to the comparison and contrast of the Stephenie Meyer‘s saga with Buffy the
        Vampire Slayer and True Blood, we begin this session with pithy comments by each
        panelist before opening the conversation to all in attendance.

        ―Being Edward Cullen: The Absence of Rob Pattinson in the _Twilight_Universe‖
        Christina Loucks, Tennessee State University

        4003 The Vampire in Literature, Culture, & Film IX: Twilight II: Romantic,
        Moral and Mormon Vampires in Stephenie Meyer‘s Twilight Series
        Chair: Mary Findley, Vermont Technical College
        ―‗I don‘t want to be a Monster‘: The Transgression of Vampirism in Stephenie
        Meyer‘s Twilight‖
        Megan Poole, Wesleyan College
        ―Edward Cullen: Twilight‘s Model Neo-Romantic Anti-Hero‖
        Meg Holland, Rider University
        ―My Life for You: Danger, Dysfunction and Doctrine in Stephenie Meyer‘s
        Twilight Series‖
        Mary Findley

        4064 The Vampire in Literature, Culture, & Film X: Twilight III: The
        Economy and Gender Dynamics of Stephenie Meyer‘s Twilight Saga
        Chair: Caryn Cox, Abilene Christian University
        ―Stephenie Meyer‘s Twilight: The Psychological Ramifications of Feminist Critique
        or How Literature Shapes the Perceptions of Women‘s Bodies‖
        Heather Brown, Abilene Christian University
        ―The Method in the Madness: The Economics of the Book Craze‖
        Jennifer Nissen Gross, Abilene Christian University
        ―Bella at the Center?: Mythical and Narratological Structures in the Twilight Book
        Series‖
        Brittany Whitstone, Abilene Christian University
        ―Angels and Monsters: A Feminist Reading of Stephenie Meyer‘s Twilight ―
        Caryn Cox

        You might also go to the main PCA/ACA site and check the other regional conference program books.

        Janet Brennan Croft
        Associate Professor
        Head of Access Services
        University of Oklahoma Libraries
        Bizzell 104NW
        Norman OK 73019
        405-325-1918
        Fax 405-325-7618
        jbcroft@... <mailto:jbcroft@...>
        http://libraries.ou.edu/
        Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
        http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html

        I am usually a lurker around these parts, but I couldn't think of a smarter
        group to ask about this.

        I'm looking for critical and/or academic treatment of Stephenie Meyer's
        Twilight books. Either published in a journal or presented at a conference
        is fine with me. At this point, the closest items I find were reviews
        published in Atlantic Monthly and the London Review of Books.

        If anyone knows of anything, please contact me. Thanks!

        Dallas Robbins
        dallasrobbins@...<mailto:dallasrobbins%40gmail.com>

      • Dallas Robbins
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2009
          Janet, thanks! That is exactly in the area I have been searching. You are
          a life saver.

          Dallas