Sigurd and Gudrun

    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2009
      I've had a chance to browse through a copy. The verse looks compelling, the prefatory lecture on the Elder Edda (which Tolkien insists, quite correctly, is misnamed) looks captivating, but my favorite spot so far as a note by Christopher Tolkien on page 10 disavowing any connection between Tolkien's and Richard Wagner's use of the same myth.

      Look, CT explains patiently, Tolkien and Wagner each used some of the same ancient sources and each reworked them according to their own, very individual, geniuses. They have nothing to do with each other except in sharing the inspiration.

      Look, he _doesn't_ say, any medievalistly uninformed ignoranti who figure Tolkien must have got his ideas from Wagner because Wagner's is the only other use of such motives that the ignoranti have heard of, are merely displaying their own lack of knowledge. Wagner's shadow is their problem, not Tolkien's.

      Same thing applies, of course, just as strongly to The Lord of the Rings.
    • scribbler@scribblerworks.us
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2009
        "medievalistly uninformed ignoranti"

        Hee! You do have a way in turning a phrase, David.

        > I've had a chance to browse through a copy. The verse looks compelling,
        > the prefatory lecture on the Elder Edda (which Tolkien insists, quite
        > correctly, is misnamed) looks captivating, but my favorite spot so far as
        > a note by Christopher Tolkien on page 10 disavowing any connection between
        > Tolkien's and Richard Wagner's use of the same myth.
        >
        > Look, CT explains patiently, Tolkien and Wagner each used some of the same
        > ancient sources and each reworked them according to their own, very
        > individual, geniuses. They have nothing to do with each other except in
        > sharing the inspiration.
        >
        > Look, he _doesn't_ say, any medievalistly uninformed ignoranti who figure
        > Tolkien must have got his ideas from Wagner because Wagner's is the only
        > other use of such motives that the ignoranti have heard of, are merely
        > displaying their own lack of knowledge. Wagner's shadow is their problem,
        > not Tolkien's.
        >
        > Same thing applies, of course, just as strongly to The Lord of the Rings.

      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2009
          ---David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
          >...Look, CT explains patiently, Tolkien and Wagner each used some of the same ancient sources and each reworked them according to their own, very individual, geniuses. They have nothing to do with each other except in sharing the inspiration...

          David, you might enjoy Jeff Sypeck's comments on Tolkien and Wagner, also inspired by CT's foreword to _Sigurd and Gudrun_:

          http://www.quidplura.com/?p=316

          -Merlin DeTardo