Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien, women, gender and brain-picking

  • Edith Crowe
    Message 1 of 18 , May 10, 2009
      Yeah, Janet! What a librarian--I ask for a few examples and I get a whole
      bibliography. This makes me feel better because it confirms much of what I
      already have (in many cases telling me that my vague memory of some of these
      is fairly accurate) and adds some intriguing new items. An link between two
      articles:

      Green, William H. ""Where's Mama?" the Construction of the Feminine in the
      Hobbit." Lion and the Unicorn 22.2 (1998): 188-95.
      An interesting mixed bag, making much of the lack of female characters. From
      his conclusion:
      "In *The Hobbit*, a revisionist version of the Victorian ideology, some
      feminine virtues--such as passivity and fear of adventure--are weaknesses to
      be overcome, but their masculine opposites, the restlessness and
      testosterone-driven ambition of the macho here, are vices. "

      He has a whole section with an argument similar to Melanie Rawls' below,
      although he seems unaware of it--he cites no journal articles at all, only
      13 books (including the infamous Catherine Stimpson's). Melanie's is one of
      the seminal (you'll excuse the expression) articles on Tolkien & gender,
      IMHO.

      > Rawls, Melanie. �The Feminine Principle in Tolkien.� Mythlore 10.4 (#38)
      > (1984): 5-13.
      > Explores the interaction of Masculine and Feminine principles (gender as
      > opposed to sex) in Tolkien�s Middle-earth, showing how the balance of the
      > principles within a character is an important factor in his or her place in
      > the struggle of good and evil, evil resulting in many cases from an
      > imbalance of these principles.

      BTW, I think my own "Power in Arda: Sources, Uses and Misuses" in the
      Centenary Conference *Proceedings* isn't bad either.

      How about some opinions from thoses possessing a Y chromosome?

      --
      Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
      The Mythopoeic Society

    • Joseph Furolo
      Message 2 of 18 , May 11, 2009
        Hi Edith

        This topic interests me a lot. I am an avid reader of Tolkien - no
        scholar - but currently in possession of a Y chromosome.. All I know
        is that I find no disrespect or belittlement in Tolkien's depiction of
        women and the feminine in any of his writings, even the lovely Lobelia
        Sackville-Baggins.

        For me, the female Valar and other immortals are the most positive
        treatment of the feminine, as are the human women of the First and
        Second Ages. Also the inversion of the 'traditional' male/female
        associations with sun and moon. But any thoughts of Elbereth and her
        stars just transports me to the most sublime places.......

        Will you be covering any of these dimensions of Tolkien's writing in
        your presentation? I know you are to focus on LOTR but of course
        Elbereth and the legendarium are part of the imagination of Middle
        Earth and some note of this broader backdrop perhaps could be noted?.

        Respectfully.

        Joseph

        --
        Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
        The Mythopoeic Society

      • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
        Message 3 of 18 , May 11, 2009
          Joseph Furolo wrote:

          > Also the inversion of the 'traditional' male/female
          > associations with sun and moon.

          Tolkien adheres to the Germanic tradition, with masculine Moon
          and feminine Sun (evident e.g. in German _der Mond_/_die Sonne_).

          Chivalrously,

          Beregond
        • Merlin DeTardo
          Message 4 of 18 , May 11, 2009
            ---"Beregond, Anders Stenström" <beregond@...> wrote:
            >Joseph Furolo wrote:
            >>Also the inversion of the 'traditional' male/female associations with sun and moon.

            >Tolkien adheres to the Germanic tradition, with masculine Moon and feminine Sun (evident e.g. in German _der Mond_/_die Sonne_).

            On that subject, see also Yvette Kisor's short article with a long title in vol. 4 of _Tolkien Studies_: "'Elves (and Hobbits) always refer to the Sun as She': Some Notes on a Note in Tolkien's _The Lord of the Rings_".

            -Merlin DeTardo
          • Doug Kane
            Message 5 of 18 , May 11, 2009
              Joseph Furolo wrote:

              > For me, the female Valar and other immortals are the most positive
              treatment of the feminine

              Elizabeth Whittingham has an excellent discussion of this subject, and how
              the depiction of the Valier and other female spirits changed over the
              history of Tolkien's writing of his mythology in her _The Evolution of
              Tolkien's Mythology_. Sorry I don't have the book here so I can't give
              specific page citations.

              Doug
            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                I also just heard a paper at Pop Culture that covered the same ground as Rawls but didn't cite her. I told the presenter she needed to read both the Rawls and your paper (which is one of the most important ones on the topic, but I figured you knew that already...)

                Janet

                Message 7 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                    ---"Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:
                    >>Elizabeth Whittingham has an excellent discussion of this subject, and how the depiction of the Valier and other female spirits changed over the history of Tolkien's writing of his mythology in her _The Evolution of Tolkien's Mythology_. Sorry I don't have the book here so I can't give specific page citations.

                    And Kristine Larsen treats the evolution of Varda specifically in "(V)Arda Marred: The Evolution of the Queen of the Stars in Tolkien's Legendarium", which she posted online here:

                    http://www.physics.ccsu.edu/larsen/varda.html

                    -Merlin DeTardo
                  • Edith Crowe
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                      Doug, I agree--I have Whittingham's book next to me even as we speak, ready
                      to copy the relevant pages (92-98). She also has a bit on pp. 19-21 noting
                      the very male-oriented education and upbringing Tolkien had, especially
                      after his mother's death.

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                        Joseph, I hope so. As I understand it, this is institute is designed for
                        high school teachers of Tolkien, so I expect they will be most interested in
                        LOTR. However, it's pretty limiting to talk about women/gender issues and
                        limit oneself only to LOTR. I'm hoping some of their students will be up for
                        some extra credit assignments that will get them into other parts of the
                        legendarium--especiallywhen they relate to characters or situations in LOTR
                        (Galadriel's wild youth; why Arwen Warrior Princess is less of a stretch
                        when you know more about her female ancestry, etc.).

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 16, 2009
                          ---"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
                          > As a corrective, consider this one:
                          > Timmons, Daniel. "Hobbit Sex and Sensuality in The Lord of the Rings." Mythlore 23.3 (#89) (2001): 70-79.
                          > Refutes critics who see no evidence of mature sexuality in Tolkien's Middle-earth by examining the distinction between sex and sensuality, and by describing depictions of romantic and married love in contrast to matelessness.

                          Just an aside: that essay was criticized in two different papers delivered last month at the sixth annual Tolkien conference at the University of Vermont; you can read a report on that conference here:

                          http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=183401

                          -Merlin DeTardo
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 16, 2009
                            Merlin DeTardo <emptyD@...> wrote:

                            >---"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
                            >> As a corrective, consider this one:
                            >> Timmons, Daniel. "Hobbit Sex and Sensuality in The Lord of the Rings." Mythlore 23.3 (#89) (2001):
                            >>70-79.
                            >> Refutes critics who see no evidence of mature sexuality in Tolkien's Middle-earth by examining the
                            >>distinction between sex and sensuality, and by describing depictions of romantic and married love in
                            >>contrast to matelessness.
                            >
                            >Just an aside: that essay was criticized in two different papers delivered last month at the sixth
                            >annual Tolkien conference at the University of Vermont; you can read a report on that conference here:
                            >
                            >http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=183401

                            I may have missed something, but I could only see one discussion of Timmons in that report. It is perilous to judge any paper by a second-hand report summary by someone taking notes, but if that is a fair summary of Vaccaro's arguments, Timmons stands unimpaired.

                            In fact, the comment quoted that "Vaccaro reported with approval," the one beginning, "Sam's love for Frodo and for Rosie are two different kinds of love… I don't think Sam imagined that the one would affect the other," actually paraphrases one of Timmons' most important points, on p. 78: "No depicted or implied rivalry exists between Frodo and Rose for the love of Sam. Each share a 'spiritual' bond, sensual in certain respects, but of a different order and distinctive nature." (There's more on this, mostly further up the page.)

                            Lastly, somebody will have to tell me what's at all homophobic about Timmons' paper. Is it that he brushes aside critics who "imagined a submerged homoeroticism between Tolkien and Lewis (or Sam and Frodo)"?
                          • Merlin DeTardo
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 16, 2009
                              ---David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                              > I may have missed something, but I could only see one discussion of Timmons in that report. It is perilous to judge any paper by a second-hand report summary by someone taking notes, but if that is a fair summary of Vaccaro's arguments, Timmons stands unimpaired.

                              Perilous indeed! You missed nothing, David: my report mentions Timmons only once. His essay also came up briefly in Chance's paper, but my notes include no details, except that her comments echoed Vaccaro's. That I haven't read Timmons' study certainly doesn't help the report. However, since Chance's piece is slated for publication later this year, it should soon be possible to consider her argument more closely.

                              -Merlin DeTardo