Re: [mythsoc] "The Hunt for Gollum" movie

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 13 , May 5, 2009
      I watched it, and honestly I found it pretty distasteful. It seemed like a cheesy take-off on Jackson's films, with only the most superficial connection to anything that Tolkien wrote. I thought some of the things that were straight out of the Jackson films were downright silly. And at least one thing that directly contradicted Tolkien in quite an important way (without even the bad excuse of supposedly serving the plot in some way, as was the case with even the worst of Jackson et al.'s deviations from Tolkien's story).

      I won't say any more at this point because I don't want to give spoiler information to anyone who may still wish to watch it. I do know others who were impressed by it, so I certainly encourage others to judge it for themselves and not take my word for it.

      Message 2 of 13 , May 5, 2009
        Doug, I'd be interested in hearing your detailed thoughts at some point,
        when we feel an appropriate "spoiler" period has passed. :)

        -Alana

        --
        Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
        http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 13 , May 5, 2009
          All I'll say for now is I appreciated the effort (to a point), but honestly, I found it boring. And not quite as lush and impressive as advance word had led me to expect. And I say this as a fan of the Peter Jackson films, FWIW.

          Jason

        • Doug Kane
          Message 4 of 13 , May 5, 2009
            I too am a fan of the Jackson films, at least as compared to David. Of course, that is damning with faint praise. ; )

            Alana, I'll wait a couple of days and then post some further thoughts if no one states that that they mind. The particular point that I was referring to comes almost at the very end, and while I doubt that it would seriously ruin anyone's viewing experiences, I have seen some awfully strong reactions to what I thought was fairly innocuous spoilers before.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 5, 2009
              Definitely, waiting a few days seems like a good idea. I'm not anti-spoiler
              myself, but I don't want to step on anyone's spoiler-free toes! ;)

              -Alana

              --
              Alana Joli Abbott, Freelance Writer and Editor (
              http://www.virgilandbeatrice.com)
              Author of "Nomi's Wish" (
              http://coyotewildmag.com/2008/august/abbott_nomis_wish.html), featured in
              Coyote Wild Magazine
              Contributor to Serenity Adventures: http://tinyurl.com/serenity-adventures
              Contributor to Ransom: The Anthology: http://tinyurl.com/ransombook
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                I think it's telling that they went to great lengths to reproduce the
                look of the Peter Jackson films, to the extent of casting actors
                based on their resemblance to Jackson's cast. I'm reminded of The
                Mamas and the Papas, who at one point fired Michelle Phillips and
                replaced her with a woman who looked like her, not one who sounded
                like her.

                I think these people spent an enormous amount of time and effort
                producing a 34-minute piece of fan-fiction; if it were in print
                rather than on film it wouldn't stand out from among thousands of
                other examples.

                An amazing piece of mimicry, though.

                __JDR

                Message 7 of 13 , May 7, 2009
                  One-line review: Don't bother. More boring than Peter Jackson at only a
                  quarter the length.

                  How to make a movie of "The Hunt for Gollum" (down below, "spoiler" alert):

                  1. Peter Jackson begins his film with a Portentious Backstory, so begin your
                  film with a Portentious Backstory.

                  2. Peter Jackson makes a solemn action-adventure film while minimizing
                  Tolkien's moral underpinnings, so by all means make a solemn
                  action-adventure film without any moral underpinnings. You've got your good
                  guys and your bad guys, so leave it at that.

                  3. Peter Jackson's Aragorn mumbles, so your Aragorn should mumble.

                  4. Let's not even talk about the Orcs.

                  5. Jackson's Gandalf was too shiny, so dress your Gandalf in an old sack.

                  6. When filming an indoor conversation, take your production values from old
                  Dr. Who serials, and your extras from science fiction conventions.

                  7. When filming two people sneaking up on each other in the woods, take your
                  mise-en-scène from the "Those We Do Not Speak Of" sequences of M. Night
                  Shyamalan's The Village.

                  8. When you finally show Gollum close up, show either your independence from
                  Peter Jackson, or your inability to follow him closely enough, by modeling
                  Gollum not on Andy Serkis, but on Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lecter.

                  9. Introduce a Ranger whom Aragorn has never met, and who has only vaguely
                  heard of his own Chieftain.

                  10. Have Aragorn carry Gollum around in a sack that Serkis's (or Tolkien's,
                  for that matter) Gollum could easily have torn his way out of in one minute.
                  (Tolkien's Aragorn made Gollum walk in front of him with a halter; this is
                  obviously impossible if you're using a CGI Gollum and have virtually no CGI
                  budget. But then, why does Gollum have to be CGI? Because Peter Jackson is
                  God?)

                  11. Have Gollum steal fish from the Woodsmen's windowsills instead of
                  drinking blood from cradles. Stabbing orcs is one thing, but this is just
                  icky. Do not ask what the Woodsmen put the raw fish on the windowsill for.
                  To cool off?

                  12. Foreshadowing! Have Aragorn see a Nazgul and tell Gandalf about it, even
                  though neither of them should have any idea yet that the Nine are abroad.

                  13. It's the beginning of a Dark Age, so film everything Really Dark.

                  14. It is imperative to follow the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Fight rule: if
                  the hero must single-handedly defeat a troupe of bad guys, the bad guys are
                  required to attack him only one at a time. Everybody else has to stand
                  around and wait their turn.

                  [previously posted on LiveJournal]
                • Jason Fisher
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 7, 2009
                    Very nice, David; many chuckles, especially #14.

                    _______________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 10, 2009
                      It occurs to me that I never did add my additional thoughts. David said
                      much of what I wanted to say (in a much more entertaining fashion than I
                      would have). I'll add just a couple of more comments, particularly the
                      specific item that I mentioned previously that I thought directly
                      contradicted Tolkien in an important way. Anyone who is still trying to
                      avoid spoilers don't read the final paragraph.

                      Before I get to that, I'll just mention that on a number of occasions I
                      noticed a number of scenes where there were either shots that mimicked shots
                      from the Jackson films or characters saying fragments of lines that were
                      said by other characters in the Jackson films that seemed to be done not to
                      serve the film in any way but simply as some kind of homage to Jackson's
                      films. I thought that was ridiculous. I'm sorry that I don't have any
                      specific examples to point; I didn't write them down at the time and it was
                      too long ago now and too unmemorable for me to remember any of them.

                      But at the end of the film, after Gollum is finally captured, Gandalf tells
                      Aragorn that Gollum's wretchedness was beyond their power to heal. That
                      contradicts what Gandalf actually says in the book, that there is not much
                      hope for his cure, but there is still some. And, of course, that small hope
                      of Gollum's cure is of critical importance to the story. The fact that these
                      filmmakers blithely contradict that (for no good reason that I can see)
                      shows a real disregard for Tolkien's work. They don't even have the bad
                      excuse that Jackson and company had for most of their deviations from
                      Tolkien's story that in some way the deviation served the plot that they
                      were telling in their movie (misguided though they might have been). This
                      line didn't serve the plot of this mini film in any way. It was just thrown
                      in their film as a throwaway line, I guess because they believed that in
                      Jackson's story it was true that Gollum was beyond redemption (which is
                      debatable in and of itself, though it still infuriates me that they left out
                      the tragic scene of Gollum's near redemption at the stairs of Cirith Ungol).

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 13, 2009
                        From: "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

                        >But at the end of the film, after Gollum is finally captured, Gandalf tells
                        >Aragorn that Gollum's wretchedness was beyond their power to heal. That
                        >contradicts what Gandalf actually says in the book, that there is not much
                        >hope for his cure, but there is still some.

                        I don't remember exactly what the film says, either, but I don't see those
                        two points as contradictory. Gandalf says that there is little hope, but
                        not no hope, that the evil part of Gollum can be cured; but he doesn't say
                        that he can cure him. Gollum has to do that for himself.

                        I think of Frodo's comment on Saruman: "He is fallen, and his cure is beyond
                        us; but I would still spare him, in the hope that he may find it."

                        In the end, of course, Frodo's learning the meaning of Bilbo's pity has
                        tremendous effects on Gollum; and it is tremendously misleading for
                        Amateur-Film-Gandalf to say _only_ that he and Aragorn cannot heal Gollum.
                        But I see this as more a sin of omission than of commission.
                      • Doug Kane
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 13, 2009
                          I mostly agree with you, David. It is true that Gandalf doesn't say that he
                          specifically can cure Gollum, but he does make it clear that humane
                          treatment of Gollum might help facillitate his finding a cure. He tells
                          Frodo that not only did they not kill Gollum, but that the Wood-elves "treat
                          him with such kindness as they can find in their wise hearts." Later,
                          Legolas clarifies that this was partly because "Gandalf bade us hope still
                          for his cure." And, of course, Frodo takes Gandalf's words to him about
                          pitying Gollum to heart, and his kind treatment of Gollum due to his pity
                          for him was very much instrumental in Gollum's near-redemption (but for
                          Sam's failure to follow Frodo's lead in this, as Tolkien discusses in Letter
                          246). To me at least, all of this is contradicted at least in spirit by
                          Gandalf's flat statement in the "Hunt for Gollum" film that Gollum's
                          wretchedness was beyond their power to heal. It reminded me a little bit of
                          the argument between Frodo and Sam in the Jackson films in which it seems to
                          be implied that Frodo was deluded in believing that he could help Gollum,
                          and that Sam was correct in saying that there was no hope of Gollum ever
                          finding any redemption. (As an aside, the fact that in the films Frodo's
                          desire to help Gollum was actually based on his concern for himself rather
                          than actual pity for Gollum misses the point that Tolkien was making, but
                          that is another issue altogether.)

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 14, 2009
                            "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

                            > I mostly agree with you, David. It is true that Gandalf doesn't say that
                            > he
                            > specifically can cure Gollum, but he does make it clear that humane
                            > treatment of Gollum might help facillitate his finding a cure. He tells
                            > Frodo that not only did they not kill Gollum, but that the Wood-elves
                            > "treat
                            > him with such kindness as they can find in their wise hearts." Later,
                            > Legolas clarifies that this was partly because "Gandalf bade us hope still
                            > for his cure." And, of course, Frodo takes Gandalf's words to him about
                            > pitying Gollum to heart, and his kind treatment of Gollum due to his pity
                            > for him was very much instrumental in Gollum's near-redemption (but for
                            > Sam's failure to follow Frodo's lead in this, as Tolkien discusses in
                            > Letter
                            > 246). To me at least, all of this is contradicted at least in spirit by
                            > Gandalf's flat statement in the "Hunt for Gollum" film that Gollum's
                            > wretchedness was beyond their power to heal.

                            It does, but I see it as more a contradiction in spirit than a change in the
                            facts of the story. But this difference in our view of it is exceedingly
                            minor, and rendered more perilous by the fact that neither of us remembers
                            the film's exact wording.

                            > It reminded me a little bit of
                            > the argument between Frodo and Sam in the Jackson films in which it seems
                            > be implied that Frodo was deluded in believing that he could help Gollum,
                            > and that Sam was correct in saying that there was no hope of Gollum ever
                            > finding any redemption. (As an aside, the fact that in the films Frodo's
                            > desire to help Gollum was actually based on his concern for himself rather
                            > than actual pity for Gollum misses the point that Tolkien was making, but
                            > that is another issue altogether.)

                            Just one, or two, examples of Jackson's massive Not Getting It, so massive
                            as to render ludicrous any defense on the grounds that the deviations serve
                            the plot of the story he's trying to tell. If he's trying to tell a story
                            _that_ different from Tolkien's, it's a grave injury to pretend that it's
                            based on Tolkien's in any way, and an insult supreme to be as devoutly
                            copying of Tolkien as he was in more surface elements. When Tolkien had the
                            trees really march to war, he was _trying_ to thumb his nose at Shakespeare.
                            When Jackson thumbs his nose at Tolkien, and does so incompetently, he
                            doesn't have that excuse.