Re: [mythsoc] Interesting item in an article in _The Washington Post_

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
      O.K., once again: I've seen the cover in pictures in books. I have no
      interest in seeing it again. I can read the article if I want online. I'll
      do that eventually, but I'm not in a hurry. I didn't want to find the
      magazine myself. I just wanted to know, if someone wanted to give someone
      else a copy of the magazine, how hard it would be to find a copy. Could one
      just "dig up" a copy, or would it take an extensive and expensive search?

      Wendell
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2, 2000
        On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 Stolzi@... wrote:

        > And only one TIME-ism that I noted. The magazine was known back then for its
        > "snappy" word coinages (most of them pretty ghastly) and in this article it
        > says that Lewis "has given up radiorating." (radio - orating, blech)

        For some reason I read "radiorating" as a variant of "rotating", and
        imagine Lewis spinning in place. No wonder he gave it up.

        Time-ese was, thank goodness, already dying out by 1947. It was a bizarre
        dialect, vaguely based on the abbreviated language called "telegraphese"
        which journalists used to master to save on by-the-word charges when
        sending dispatches by telegram back to the office. Some newspapers and
        magazines would print the dispatches that way, and the style became
        associated with "snappy" journalism. Time - founded in 1923, the height
        of the "Front Page" era - then took it up deliberately, even when it
        wasn't economically necessary.

        Time-ese had a peculiar grammar as well as an abbreviated vocabulary. My
        favorite example comes from an article about Time which The New Yorker
        published in the mid-30s: the content was utterly straight, but the
        article was written _in_ a parody of Time-ese. This was their
        description of Time-ese itself: "Backward ran sentences until reeled the
        mind."

        This type of writing, and its companion of sloppy thinking, probably
        contributed more to Lewis's dislike of journalism than the personal
        intrusiveness which is more characteristic of journalism today than it was
        then. (There were other factors as well, of course.) I do not recall
        reading anything about why Lewis consented to be profiled by Time, or his
        reaction to the result: though words like "radiorator" would make the
        lowliest English teacher's teeth ache, let alone Lewis's.

        But I am fond of Tolkien's comment on the occasion of a newspaper
        columnist calling CSL "Ascetic Mr. Lewis." Tolkien said "I ask you! He
        put away three pints in a very short session we had this morning, and said
        he was 'going short for Lent.'" (Tolkien's Letters, no. 56)

        David Bratman
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
          Here's the letter I've just sent to The Washington Post:

          To the editors:

          In an article on page A7 of the July 24, 2000 issue, you write that as a
          memento of a meeting, George W. Bush "dug up" and sent to a Wheaton College
          professor a copy of a Time magazine cover showing C. S. Lewis. My first
          reaction was that it's impossible to just casually dig up this issue (which
          is from September 8, 1947). In over twenty-five years of reading and
          casually collecting Lewis's works, I've never seen a copy of it. It's not
          that the issue is really rare. Lots of libraries have complete sets of Time
          magazine, but I'll assume that Bush didn't steal the copy from a library.
          It's not the sort of thing that can be found by casually searching used
          bookstores though, and I assumed that it would take paying a dealer to do an
          extensive (and rather expensive) search if one wanted a copy.

          I asked people on an E-mail mailing list I belong to just how hard it would
          be to find this issue. To my surprise, one person was able to suggest a
          fairly simple way to obtain a copy. He did a search on the Internet on
          dealers of used Time magazines. He found quite a few of them and E-mailed
          them all asking if they had the issue. Several of them did, and he was able
          to buy a copy for only four dollars. So I conclude that it's not that
          difficult to obtain the issue with the C. S. Lewis cover now that we have the
          Internet. But then, we have Al Gore to thank for that, right?

          Sincerely,
          Wendell Wagner, Jr.

          Anyway, I won't be leaving till the 13th, but for those who are leaving this
          week, have a nice trip and I'll see you at Mythcon.
        • Ted Sherman
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
            Uh, Wendell, what's the point?

            Ted

            PS: I won't be at MythCon this year--don't want to get too near the Cracks of
            Doom!

            WendellWag@... wrote:

            > Here's the letter I've just sent to The Washington Post:
            >
            > To the editors:
            >
            > In an article on page A7 of the July 24, 2000 issue, you write that as a
            > memento of a meeting, George W. Bush "dug up" and sent to a Wheaton College
            > professor a copy of a Time magazine cover showing C. S. Lewis. My first
            > reaction was that it's impossible to just casually dig up this issue (which
            > is from September 8, 1947). In over twenty-five years of reading and
            > casually collecting Lewis's works, I've never seen a copy of it. It's not
            > that the issue is really rare. Lots of libraries have complete sets of Time
            > magazine, but I'll assume that Bush didn't steal the copy from a library.
            > It's not the sort of thing that can be found by casually searching used
            > bookstores though, and I assumed that it would take paying a dealer to do an
            > extensive (and rather expensive) search if one wanted a copy.
            >
            > I asked people on an E-mail mailing list I belong to just how hard it would
            > be to find this issue. To my surprise, one person was able to suggest a
            > fairly simple way to obtain a copy. He did a search on the Internet on
            > dealers of used Time magazines. He found quite a few of them and E-mailed
            > them all asking if they had the issue. Several of them did, and he was able
            > to buy a copy for only four dollars. So I conclude that it's not that
            > difficult to obtain the issue with the C. S. Lewis cover now that we have the
            > Internet. But then, we have Al Gore to thank for that, right?
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Wendell Wagner, Jr.
            >
            > Anyway, I won't be leaving till the 13th, but for those who are leaving this
            > week, have a nice trip and I'll see you at Mythcon.

            Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
            Mythopoeic Literature
            Box X041, Department of English
            Middle Tennessee State University