Re: [mythsoc] Interesting item in an article in _The Washington Post_

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1 6:25 PM
      I've seen the Time cover in question and, in fact, have photocopied it (though i
      don't know where the copy is).

      Ted

      PS: Try a large university library that has bound copies of Time.

      WendellWag@... wrote:

      > There's an article in _The Washington Post_ (July 24th, page A7) about George
      > W. Bush's (and his campaign advisors') attempts to speak to the evangelical
      > communty. He was introduced by one aide, George Wead, to many evangelic
      > leaders. He made attempts to stay in touch with some of them and, among
      > other things, "he dug up an old Time magazine cover of author C. S. Lewis,
      > the evangelicals' leterary favorite, to send to a Wheaton College professor
      > he had met with."
      >
      > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
      > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
      > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
      >
      > My question is "How difficult would this be?"
      >
      > I've been reading and collecting Lewis for over twenty-five years and I've
      > never seen that issue of _Time_ (from August 8, 1947). I checked on E-bay
      > and abebooks.com and they don't have any copies. Have any of you seen that
      > issue? Do any of you own it? Is there any way that someone could obtain it
      > (particularly someone who had not previously been a Lewis collector) except
      > by paying a dealer for a extensive (and expensive) search.
      >
      > Wendell Wagner

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1 7:29 PM
        O.K., once again: I've seen the cover in pictures in books. I have no
        interest in seeing it again. I can read the article if I want online. I'll
        do that eventually, but I'm not in a hurry. I didn't want to find the
        magazine myself. I just wanted to know, if someone wanted to give someone
        else a copy of the magazine, how hard it would be to find a copy. Could one
        just "dig up" a copy, or would it take an extensive and expensive search?

        Wendell
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2 8:20 AM
          On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 Stolzi@... wrote:

          > And only one TIME-ism that I noted. The magazine was known back then for its
          > "snappy" word coinages (most of them pretty ghastly) and in this article it
          > says that Lewis "has given up radiorating." (radio - orating, blech)

          For some reason I read "radiorating" as a variant of "rotating", and
          imagine Lewis spinning in place. No wonder he gave it up.

          Time-ese was, thank goodness, already dying out by 1947. It was a bizarre
          dialect, vaguely based on the abbreviated language called "telegraphese"
          which journalists used to master to save on by-the-word charges when
          sending dispatches by telegram back to the office. Some newspapers and
          magazines would print the dispatches that way, and the style became
          associated with "snappy" journalism. Time - founded in 1923, the height
          of the "Front Page" era - then took it up deliberately, even when it
          wasn't economically necessary.

          Time-ese had a peculiar grammar as well as an abbreviated vocabulary. My
          favorite example comes from an article about Time which The New Yorker
          published in the mid-30s: the content was utterly straight, but the
          article was written _in_ a parody of Time-ese. This was their
          description of Time-ese itself: "Backward ran sentences until reeled the
          mind."

          This type of writing, and its companion of sloppy thinking, probably
          contributed more to Lewis's dislike of journalism than the personal
          intrusiveness which is more characteristic of journalism today than it was
          then. (There were other factors as well, of course.) I do not recall
          reading anything about why Lewis consented to be profiled by Time, or his
          reaction to the result: though words like "radiorator" would make the
          lowliest English teacher's teeth ache, let alone Lewis's.

          But I am fond of Tolkien's comment on the occasion of a newspaper
          columnist calling CSL "Ascetic Mr. Lewis." Tolkien said "I ask you! He
          put away three pints in a very short session we had this morning, and said
          he was 'going short for Lent.'" (Tolkien's Letters, no. 56)

          David Bratman
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 5 4:12 PM
            Here's the letter I've just sent to The Washington Post:

            To the editors:

            In an article on page A7 of the July 24, 2000 issue, you write that as a
            memento of a meeting, George W. Bush "dug up" and sent to a Wheaton College
            professor a copy of a Time magazine cover showing C. S. Lewis. My first
            reaction was that it's impossible to just casually dig up this issue (which
            is from September 8, 1947). In over twenty-five years of reading and
            casually collecting Lewis's works, I've never seen a copy of it. It's not
            that the issue is really rare. Lots of libraries have complete sets of Time
            magazine, but I'll assume that Bush didn't steal the copy from a library.
            It's not the sort of thing that can be found by casually searching used
            bookstores though, and I assumed that it would take paying a dealer to do an
            extensive (and rather expensive) search if one wanted a copy.

            I asked people on an E-mail mailing list I belong to just how hard it would
            be to find this issue. To my surprise, one person was able to suggest a
            fairly simple way to obtain a copy. He did a search on the Internet on
            dealers of used Time magazines. He found quite a few of them and E-mailed
            them all asking if they had the issue. Several of them did, and he was able
            to buy a copy for only four dollars. So I conclude that it's not that
            difficult to obtain the issue with the C. S. Lewis cover now that we have the
            Internet. But then, we have Al Gore to thank for that, right?

            Sincerely,
            Wendell Wagner, Jr.

            Anyway, I won't be leaving till the 13th, but for those who are leaving this
            week, have a nice trip and I'll see you at Mythcon.
          • Ted Sherman
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 5 4:41 PM
              Uh, Wendell, what's the point?

              Ted

              PS: I won't be at MythCon this year--don't want to get too near the Cracks of
              Doom!

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 5 8:22 PM
                tedsherman@... writes:

                << Uh, Wendell, what's the point? >>