An unexpected Tolkien reference

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26 3:42 PM
      My wife came across this on p. 212 of the May 2009 issue of Marie Claire, on the "Things That Make Us Love May" page:

      "J.R.R. Tolkien's new posthumous book, The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún, edited by his son. Or wait for the big-screen version: Sigurd and Gudrún's Excellent Adventure."

      Strange, but welcome, to see this in Marie Claire of all places. I wouldn't have expected there is much demographic overlap between its readers and Tolkien's. I was pleased to note that they got the diacritical right -- twice.

      Jason Fisher

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26 3:46 PM
        There probably isn't much of an overlap between the readers of Marie Claire
        and Tolkien. Probably what little they know of Tolkien comes from seeing
        the Jackson movies.

        Wendell Wagner

        In a message dated 4/26/2009 6:43:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        visualweasel@... writes:

        I wouldn't have expected there is much demographic overlap between its
        readers and Tolkien's.

        steps!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220814855x1201410739/aol?red
        ir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=A
        prilfooter426NO62)

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26 4:13 PM
          You got me. Who is Marie Claire?

          Diacritical, heck. I'm just amazed they spelled Tolkien right.

          >My wife came across this on p. 212 of the May 2009 issue of Marie Claire, on the "Things That Make Us Love May" page:
          >
          >"J.R.R. Tolkien's new posthumous book, The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún, edited by his son. Or wait for the big-screen version: Sigurd and Gudrún's Excellent Adventure."
          >
          >Strange, but welcome, to see this in Marie Claire of all places. I wouldn't have expected there is much demographic overlap between its readers and Tolkien's. I was pleased to note that they got the diacritical right -- twice.
          >
          >Jason Fisher

        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26 4:24 PM
            >Or wait for the big-screen version: Sigurd and Gudrún's Excellent Adventure.

            Now *that* might be worth seeing!

            emerdavid

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26 5:59 PM
              When one accidently stops on a cable channel sponsored by a very conservative Christian group and the hostess is talking about a novel written to explain the 'end time' by saying "... It reads like Lord of the Rings." it is probably time to admit to some level of pop cultural acceptance.

              Dean Rowley