Nebula awards

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2009
      The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America announced the winners of this year's Nebula Awards last night:

      Novel
      Powers - Ursula K. Le Guin (Harcourt, Sep07)

      Novella
      “The Spacetime Pool” - Catherine Asaro (Analog, Mar08)

      Novelette
      “Pride and Prometheus” - John Kessel (F&SF, Jan08)

      Short Story
      “Trophy Wives” - Nina Kiriki Hoffman (Fellowship Fantastic, ed. Greenberg and Hughes, Daw Jan08)

      Script
      “WALL-E” Screenplay by Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon, Original story by Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter (Walt Disney June 2008)

      Andre Norton Award
      Flora’s Dare: How a Girl of Spirit Gambles All to Expand Her Vocabulary, Confront a Bouncing Boy Terror, and Try to Save Califa from a Shaky Doom (Despite Being Confined to Her Room) - Ysabeau S. Wilce (Harcourt, Sep08)

      Announcement is at <http://www.sfawardswatch.com/?p=1857>

      I'm particularly pleased with the award to Le Guin. I've seen very little discussion of the trilogy (and it is a trilogy, not a three-volume novel) of YA novels - Gifts, Voices, and Powers - that's been her major attention for the last few years. But in honor of the Nebula, I've extracted my reviews of all three volumes for Mythprint and put them up on my web site: <http://home.earthlink.net/~dbratman/gifts.html>. Spoiler alert, but only in that subsequent volumes necessarily reveal something about the outcome of the earlier ones.