Re: Which Hazel(l)?

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22 11:46 PM
      ---"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
      > Dinah Hazell's (yes, that's correct!) The Plants of Middle-earth doesn't say much about hazel - just that it was said to have magical and protective powers and was used for wands. Also a symbol of fertility, and associated with knowledge and immortality, and thus suitable for association with elves. (page 29)

      Thanks, Janet! I should have thought to check Hazell's book. I see that she mentions the third hazel scene I listed, and writes, "Whether by chance (if chance it was) or design, Tolkien chose a perfect plant companion for the meeting of rustic hobbits and shimmering Elves on the brink of their worlds." The other two scenes make "design" seem a bit likelier, but only in LOTR -- the Narn features a meeting in a hazel thicket of a rather different nature.

      -Merlin DeTardo