Re: [mythsoc] Digitial Tolkien.

  • Lisa Harrigan
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
      The US Press Release is Here -
      http://harpercollins.com/author/microsite/news.aspx?authorid=11538&newsid=5708#5708
      It lets the US people know where to buy the books - besides Amazon.

      They are available through http://www.fictionwise.com/ One of my
      favorite online ebook sellers. I can get books for my Palm PDA. Big
      Splash on the front page, can't miss it. :)

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

      Merlin DeTardo wrote:

      > I've just read that yesterday
      > <http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/HarperCollins\
      > -Launches-Global-Ebook-Programme-for-JRR-Tolkien.aspx
      > <http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/HarperCollins-Launches-Global-Ebook-Programme-for-JRR-Tolkien.aspx>>
      > HarperCollins
      > made The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Children of Húrin
      > available in electronic form, with further Tolkien titles soon to
      > follow. One reader reports here
      > <http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=18383\
      > 8#183838
      > <http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=183838#183838>>
      > on the quality of these e-books.
      >
      > -Merlin DeTardo

    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
        Dinah Hazell's (yes, that's correct!) The Plants of Middle-earth doesn't say much about hazel - just that it was said to have magical and protective powers and was used for wands. Also a symbol of fertility, and associated with knowledge and immortality, and thus suitable for association with elves. (page 29)

        It's one of a group of trees - hazel, oak, ash, and thorn - traditionally associated with magic, but others here may know much more about that.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
          ---"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
          > Dinah Hazell's (yes, that's correct!) The Plants of Middle-earth doesn't say much about hazel - just that it was said to have magical and protective powers and was used for wands. Also a symbol of fertility, and associated with knowledge and immortality, and thus suitable for association with elves. (page 29)

          Thanks, Janet! I should have thought to check Hazell's book. I see that she mentions the third hazel scene I listed, and writes, "Whether by chance (if chance it was) or design, Tolkien chose a perfect plant companion for the meeting of rustic hobbits and shimmering Elves on the brink of their worlds." The other two scenes make "design" seem a bit likelier, but only in LOTR -- the Narn features a meeting in a hazel thicket of a rather different nature.

          -Merlin DeTardo