Re: [mythsoc] Digitial Tolkien.

  • Lisa Harrigan
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22 2:13 AM
      The US Press Release is Here -
      http://harpercollins.com/author/microsite/news.aspx?authorid=11538&newsid=5708#5708
      It lets the US people know where to buy the books - besides Amazon.

      They are available through http://www.fictionwise.com/ One of my
      favorite online ebook sellers. I can get books for my Palm PDA. Big
      Splash on the front page, can't miss it. :)

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

      Merlin DeTardo wrote:

      > I've just read that yesterday
      > <http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/HarperCollins\
      > -Launches-Global-Ebook-Programme-for-JRR-Tolkien.aspx
      > <http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/HarperCollins-Launches-Global-Ebook-Programme-for-JRR-Tolkien.aspx>>
      > HarperCollins
      > made The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Children of Húrin
      > available in electronic form, with further Tolkien titles soon to
      > follow. One reader reports here
      > <http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=18383\
      > 8#183838
      > <http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=183838#183838>>
      > on the quality of these e-books.
      >
      > -Merlin DeTardo

    • mwilt
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22 3:47 AM
        Try this (take off the period at the end of html in the previous link):

        http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html

        That worked for me!

        mary

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22 4:10 AM
          >Try this (take off the period at the end of html in the previous link):
          >
          ><http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html>http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html

          Thanks, Jeremy and Mary. The period was clear of the URL in my message as
          written.

          Wayne

        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22 7:34 AM
            That IS wonderful!! Now if I could just figure out a research project that would require me to come visit...

            Janet Brennan Croft

            From: Paola Castagno <paolacastagno@...<mailto:paolacastagno%40gmail.com>>
            To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com<mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 10:02 PM

            On 4/22/09, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@ williams. edu> wrote:

            > I'm pleased to report that the archive and library of Pauline Baynes,

            > original illustrator of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and of works

            > by J.R.R. Tolkien including Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom

            > Bombadil, has come to the Chapin Library at Williams College in

            > Williamstown, Massachusetts. See further at

            > http://www.williams .edu/resources/ chapin/collect/ baynes.html.

            > Wayne

          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22 9:27 AM
              Dinah Hazell's (yes, that's correct!) The Plants of Middle-earth doesn't say much about hazel - just that it was said to have magical and protective powers and was used for wands. Also a symbol of fertility, and associated with knowledge and immortality, and thus suitable for association with elves. (page 29)

              It's one of a group of trees - hazel, oak, ash, and thorn - traditionally associated with magic, but others here may know much more about that.

              Janet Brennan Croft

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22 11:46 PM
                ---"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
                > Dinah Hazell's (yes, that's correct!) The Plants of Middle-earth doesn't say much about hazel - just that it was said to have magical and protective powers and was used for wands. Also a symbol of fertility, and associated with knowledge and immortality, and thus suitable for association with elves. (page 29)

                Thanks, Janet! I should have thought to check Hazell's book. I see that she mentions the third hazel scene I listed, and writes, "Whether by chance (if chance it was) or design, Tolkien chose a perfect plant companion for the meeting of rustic hobbits and shimmering Elves on the brink of their worlds." The other two scenes make "design" seem a bit likelier, but only in LOTR -- the Narn features a meeting in a hazel thicket of a rather different nature.

                -Merlin DeTardo