Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter IV

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 6:22 PM
      >From: "Sophie Masson" <smasson@...>

      >Very clever, as usual, for JK to use these pre-existing things--my only
      >problem with it is that the house-elves' language and attitudes sound very
      >close to the 'happy slaves' idea of the Deep South..but then, I think that's
      >probably meant deliberately. Everyone except Hermione has a blind spot about
      >it.

      Here's a thought. (Mind you, I have not read the book yet and I've been
      deleting all messages once the spoiler alert is given.) Perhaps the reason
      house-elves sound like "happy slaves" is because of their relation to lawn
      ornaments. IIRC, in one of the earlier books, the elves were like the lawn
      ornament elves that used to be somewhat common in middle America a
      generation or two ago (say 1950s to early 1960s). Another common lawn
      ornament at that time was a small black figure dressed as a jockey. Perhaps
      Rowling is applying the old stereotype of the one to the other.

      Of course, Rowlings isn't American so this may not apply. Or maybe this was
      brought up after the spoiler alert. Never mind. I'll think I'll go off and
      pet the cats.

      Berni