Re: [mythsoc] Pauline Baynes archive

  • Paola Castagno
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22 12:46 AM
      You are right, Jeremy!

      Thank you!

      Best regards,

      Paola.

      On 4/22/09, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:
      > The period at the end of the sentence is causing the problem, most likely.
      > Try this
      >
      > http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html
      >
      > Great news!  Congrats to Williams (and Wayne) and thanks for preserving and
      > sharing.
      >
      > Jeremy

    • Lisa Harrigan
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22 2:13 AM
        The US Press Release is Here -
        http://harpercollins.com/author/microsite/news.aspx?authorid=11538&newsid=5708#5708
        It lets the US people know where to buy the books - besides Amazon.

        They are available through http://www.fictionwise.com/ One of my
        favorite online ebook sellers. I can get books for my Palm PDA. Big
        Splash on the front page, can't miss it. :)

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa

        Merlin DeTardo wrote:

        > I've just read that yesterday
        > <http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/HarperCollins\
        > -Launches-Global-Ebook-Programme-for-JRR-Tolkien.aspx
        > <http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/HarperCollins-Launches-Global-Ebook-Programme-for-JRR-Tolkien.aspx>>
        > HarperCollins
        > made The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Children of Húrin
        > available in electronic form, with further Tolkien titles soon to
        > follow. One reader reports here
        > <http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=18383\
        > 8#183838
        > <http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=183838#183838>>
        > on the quality of these e-books.
        >
        > -Merlin DeTardo

      • mwilt
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22 3:47 AM
          Try this (take off the period at the end of html in the previous link):

          http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html

          That worked for me!

          mary

          On 4/22/09, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

          > I'm pleased to report that the archive and library of Pauline Baynes,
          > original illustrator of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and of works
          >
          > by J.R.R. Tolkien including Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom
          > Bombadil, has come to the Chapin Library at Williams College in
          > Williamstown, Massachusetts. See further at
          > http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html.

        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22 4:10 AM
            >Try this (take off the period at the end of html in the previous link):
            >
            ><http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html>http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html

            Thanks, Jeremy and Mary. The period was clear of the URL in my message as
            written.

            Wayne

          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22 7:34 AM
              That IS wonderful!! Now if I could just figure out a research project that would require me to come visit...

              Janet Brennan Croft

              Excuse me, but I have a problem. The link does not work for me :-(

              Best regards,

              Paola.

              On 4/22/09, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@ williams. edu> wrote:

              > I'm pleased to report that the archive and library of Pauline Baynes,

              > original illustrator of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and of works

              > by J.R.R. Tolkien including Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom

              > Bombadil, has come to the Chapin Library at Williams College in

              > Williamstown, Massachusetts. See further at

              > http://www.williams .edu/resources/ chapin/collect/ baynes.html.

              > Wayne

            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22 9:27 AM
                Dinah Hazell's (yes, that's correct!) The Plants of Middle-earth doesn't say much about hazel - just that it was said to have magical and protective powers and was used for wands. Also a symbol of fertility, and associated with knowledge and immortality, and thus suitable for association with elves. (page 29)

                It's one of a group of trees - hazel, oak, ash, and thorn - traditionally associated with magic, but others here may know much more about that.

                Janet Brennan Croft

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22 11:46 PM
                  ---"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
                  > Dinah Hazell's (yes, that's correct!) The Plants of Middle-earth doesn't say much about hazel - just that it was said to have magical and protective powers and was used for wands. Also a symbol of fertility, and associated with knowledge and immortality, and thus suitable for association with elves. (page 29)

                  Thanks, Janet! I should have thought to check Hazell's book. I see that she mentions the third hazel scene I listed, and writes, "Whether by chance (if chance it was) or design, Tolkien chose a perfect plant companion for the meeting of rustic hobbits and shimmering Elves on the brink of their worlds." The other two scenes make "design" seem a bit likelier, but only in LOTR -- the Narn features a meeting in a hazel thicket of a rather different nature.

                  -Merlin DeTardo