Pauline Baynes archive

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21, 2009
      I'm pleased to report that the archive and library of Pauline Baynes,
      original illustrator of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and of works
      by J.R.R. Tolkien including Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom
      Bombadil, has come to the Chapin Library at Williams College in
      Williamstown, Massachusetts. See further at
      http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html.

      Wayne

    • Paola Castagno
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 21, 2009
        Excuse me, but I have a problem. The link does not work for me :-(

        Best regards,

        Paola.

        On 4/22/09, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

        > I'm pleased to report that the archive and library of Pauline Baynes,
        > original illustrator of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and of works
        >
        > by J.R.R. Tolkien including Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom
        > Bombadil, has come to the Chapin Library at Williams College in
        > Williamstown, Massachusetts. See further at
        > http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html.
        >
        > Wayne

      • Jeremy Edmonds
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 21, 2009
          The period at the end of the sentence is causing the problem, most likely.  Try this

          http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html

          Great news!  Congrats to Williams (and Wayne) and thanks for preserving and sharing.

          Jeremy

          On 4/22/09, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@ williams. edu> wrote:

          > I'm pleased to report that the archive and library of Pauline Baynes,

          > original illustrator of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and of works

          > by J.R.R. Tolkien including Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom

          > Bombadil, has come to the Chapin Library at Williams College in

          > Williamstown, Massachusetts. See further at

          > http://www.williams .edu/resources/ chapin/collect/ baynes.html.

          > Wayne

        • Paola Castagno
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
            You are right, Jeremy!

            Thank you!

            Best regards,

            Paola.

            On 4/22/09, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:
            > The period at the end of the sentence is causing the problem, most likely.
            > Try this
            >
            > http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html
            >
            > Great news!  Congrats to Williams (and Wayne) and thanks for preserving and
            > sharing.
            >
            > Jeremy

          • Lisa Harrigan
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
              The US Press Release is Here -
              http://harpercollins.com/author/microsite/news.aspx?authorid=11538&newsid=5708#5708
              It lets the US people know where to buy the books - besides Amazon.

              They are available through http://www.fictionwise.com/ One of my
              favorite online ebook sellers. I can get books for my Palm PDA. Big
              Splash on the front page, can't miss it. :)

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa

              Merlin DeTardo wrote:

              > I've just read that yesterday
              > <http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/HarperCollins\
              > -Launches-Global-Ebook-Programme-for-JRR-Tolkien.aspx
              > <http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/HarperCollins-Launches-Global-Ebook-Programme-for-JRR-Tolkien.aspx>>
              > HarperCollins
              > made The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Children of Húrin
              > available in electronic form, with further Tolkien titles soon to
              > follow. One reader reports here
              > <http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=18383\
              > 8#183838
              > <http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=183838#183838>>
              > on the quality of these e-books.
              >
              > -Merlin DeTardo

            • mwilt
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                Try this (take off the period at the end of html in the previous link):

                http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html

                That worked for me!

                mary

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                  >Try this (take off the period at the end of html in the previous link):
                  >
                  ><http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html>http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html

                  Thanks, Jeremy and Mary. The period was clear of the URL in my message as
                  written.

                  Wayne

                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                    That IS wonderful!! Now if I could just figure out a research project that would require me to come visit...

                    Janet Brennan Croft

                    Excuse me, but I have a problem. The link does not work for me :-(

                    Best regards,

                    Paola.

                    On 4/22/09, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@ williams. edu> wrote:

                    > I'm pleased to report that the archive and library of Pauline Baynes,

                    > original illustrator of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and of works

                    > by J.R.R. Tolkien including Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom

                    > Bombadil, has come to the Chapin Library at Williams College in

                    > Williamstown, Massachusetts. See further at

                    > http://www.williams .edu/resources/ chapin/collect/ baynes.html.

                    > Wayne

                  • Croft, Janet B.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                      Dinah Hazell's (yes, that's correct!) The Plants of Middle-earth doesn't say much about hazel - just that it was said to have magical and protective powers and was used for wands. Also a symbol of fertility, and associated with knowledge and immortality, and thus suitable for association with elves. (page 29)

                      It's one of a group of trees - hazel, oak, ash, and thorn - traditionally associated with magic, but others here may know much more about that.

                      Janet Brennan Croft

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                        ---"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
                        > Dinah Hazell's (yes, that's correct!) The Plants of Middle-earth doesn't say much about hazel - just that it was said to have magical and protective powers and was used for wands. Also a symbol of fertility, and associated with knowledge and immortality, and thus suitable for association with elves. (page 29)

                        Thanks, Janet! I should have thought to check Hazell's book. I see that she mentions the third hazel scene I listed, and writes, "Whether by chance (if chance it was) or design, Tolkien chose a perfect plant companion for the meeting of rustic hobbits and shimmering Elves on the brink of their worlds." The other two scenes make "design" seem a bit likelier, but only in LOTR -- the Narn features a meeting in a hazel thicket of a rather different nature.

                        -Merlin DeTardo