Digitial Tolkien.

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21, 2009
      I've just read that yesterday
      <http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/HarperCollins\
      -Launches-Global-Ebook-Programme-for-JRR-Tolkien.aspx> HarperCollins
      made The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Children of Húrin
      available in electronic form, with further Tolkien titles soon to
      follow. One reader reports here
      <http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=18383\
      8#183838> on the quality of these e-books.

      -Merlin DeTardo

    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 21, 2009
        >--- "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:
        >I've just read that yesterday Harper Collins made...

        Ugh -- "Digitial"? Sorry.

        And so as not to waste a message just noting my own mistake, I have a question on a different subject: what significance would hazels have had for Tolkien? In LOTR, they appear, so far as I know, only in conjunction with elves:

        1. "Three Is Company", as the hobbits follow Gildor to their hall:

        "The woods on either side became denser; the trees were now younger and thicker; and as the lane went lower, running down into a fold of the hills, there were many deep brakes of hazel on the rising slopes at either hand."

        2. "Flight to the Ford", as Glorfindel is heard approaching:

        "As quickly as they could they scrambled off the beaten way and up into the deep heather and bilberry brushwood on the slopes above, until they came to a small patch of thick-growing hazels."

        3. "The Grey Havens", just before Frodo and Sam meet Elrond:

        "It was evening, and the stars were glimmering in the eastern sky as they passed the ruined oak and turned and went on down the hill between the hazel-thickets."

        -MTD
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 21, 2009
          I'm pleased to report that the archive and library of Pauline Baynes,
          original illustrator of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and of works
          by J.R.R. Tolkien including Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom
          Bombadil, has come to the Chapin Library at Williams College in
          Williamstown, Massachusetts. See further at
          http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html.

          Wayne

        • Paola Castagno
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 21, 2009
            Excuse me, but I have a problem. The link does not work for me :-(

            Best regards,

            Paola.

            On 4/22/09, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

            > I'm pleased to report that the archive and library of Pauline Baynes,
            > original illustrator of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and of works
            >
            > by J.R.R. Tolkien including Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom
            > Bombadil, has come to the Chapin Library at Williams College in
            > Williamstown, Massachusetts. See further at
            > http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html.
            >
            > Wayne

          • Jeremy Edmonds
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 21, 2009
              The period at the end of the sentence is causing the problem, most likely.  Try this

              http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html

              Great news!  Congrats to Williams (and Wayne) and thanks for preserving and sharing.

              Jeremy

              On 4/22/09, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@ williams. edu> wrote:

              > I'm pleased to report that the archive and library of Pauline Baynes,

              > original illustrator of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and of works

              > by J.R.R. Tolkien including Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom

              > Bombadil, has come to the Chapin Library at Williams College in

              > Williamstown, Massachusetts. See further at

              > http://www.williams .edu/resources/ chapin/collect/ baynes.html.

              > Wayne

            • Paola Castagno
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                You are right, Jeremy!

                Thank you!

                Best regards,

                Paola.

                On 4/22/09, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:
                > The period at the end of the sentence is causing the problem, most likely.
                > Try this
                >
                > http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html
                >
                > Great news!  Congrats to Williams (and Wayne) and thanks for preserving and
                > sharing.
                >
                > Jeremy

              • Lisa Harrigan
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                  The US Press Release is Here -
                  http://harpercollins.com/author/microsite/news.aspx?authorid=11538&newsid=5708#5708
                  It lets the US people know where to buy the books - besides Amazon.

                  They are available through http://www.fictionwise.com/ One of my
                  favorite online ebook sellers. I can get books for my Palm PDA. Big
                  Splash on the front page, can't miss it. :)

                  Mythically yours,
                  Lisa

                  Merlin DeTardo wrote:

                  > I've just read that yesterday
                  > <http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/HarperCollins\
                  > -Launches-Global-Ebook-Programme-for-JRR-Tolkien.aspx
                  > <http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/HarperCollins-Launches-Global-Ebook-Programme-for-JRR-Tolkien.aspx>>
                  > HarperCollins
                  > made The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and The Children of Húrin
                  > available in electronic form, with further Tolkien titles soon to
                  > follow. One reader reports here
                  > <http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=18383\
                  > 8#183838
                  > <http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=183838#183838>>
                  > on the quality of these e-books.
                  >
                  > -Merlin DeTardo

                • mwilt
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                    Try this (take off the period at the end of html in the previous link):

                    http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html

                    That worked for me!

                    mary

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                      >Try this (take off the period at the end of html in the previous link):
                      >
                      ><http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html>http://www.williams.edu/resources/chapin/collect/baynes.html

                      Thanks, Jeremy and Mary. The period was clear of the URL in my message as
                      written.

                      Wayne

                    • Croft, Janet B.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                        That IS wonderful!! Now if I could just figure out a research project that would require me to come visit...

                        Janet Brennan Croft

                        Excuse me, but I have a problem. The link does not work for me :-(

                        Best regards,

                        Paola.

                        On 4/22/09, Wayne G. Hammond <Wayne.G.Hammond@ williams. edu> wrote:

                        > I'm pleased to report that the archive and library of Pauline Baynes,

                        > original illustrator of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and of works

                        > by J.R.R. Tolkien including Farmer Giles of Ham and The Adventures of Tom

                        > Bombadil, has come to the Chapin Library at Williams College in

                        > Williamstown, Massachusetts. See further at

                        > http://www.williams .edu/resources/ chapin/collect/ baynes.html.

                        > Wayne

                      • Croft, Janet B.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                          Dinah Hazell's (yes, that's correct!) The Plants of Middle-earth doesn't say much about hazel - just that it was said to have magical and protective powers and was used for wands. Also a symbol of fertility, and associated with knowledge and immortality, and thus suitable for association with elves. (page 29)

                          It's one of a group of trees - hazel, oak, ash, and thorn - traditionally associated with magic, but others here may know much more about that.

                          Janet Brennan Croft

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 22, 2009
                            ---"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
                            > Dinah Hazell's (yes, that's correct!) The Plants of Middle-earth doesn't say much about hazel - just that it was said to have magical and protective powers and was used for wands. Also a symbol of fertility, and associated with knowledge and immortality, and thus suitable for association with elves. (page 29)

                            Thanks, Janet! I should have thought to check Hazell's book. I see that she mentions the third hazel scene I listed, and writes, "Whether by chance (if chance it was) or design, Tolkien chose a perfect plant companion for the meeting of rustic hobbits and shimmering Elves on the brink of their worlds." The other two scenes make "design" seem a bit likelier, but only in LOTR -- the Narn features a meeting in a hazel thicket of a rather different nature.

                            -Merlin DeTardo