Mystical Realms Newsletter for April, 2009

  • jef.murray
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2009

      Welcome to my newsletter for April, 2009! Please feel free to forward this to anyone you think would be interested in keeping up with me. To receive these newsletters regularly, please drop me an email or subscribe online from my website ( http://www.JefMurray.com ) or at:
      http://groups.google.com/group/Mystical_Realms . Notices of events and items of interest are at the bottom of this email.

      Ponderings ==============

      The air is alive. Honeybees bloom and billow from budding boughs, packing pollen in bristly baskets. Here sit I, a Leviathan amongst the lilies.

      These days I'm dazed and dazzled. Lorraine and I have skipped the Pond like flat stones spun, wending from blossomed spring to foggy late winter and back again. We've been exhumed from normalcy by extravagant exhibitions.

      "Look, a rainbow!" said I on our first full Cotswald hills sally. This as we were flung towards Oxford's high spires in mist and drear. Rainbows wan and washed-out around the edges, rainbows with only high color…a kiss and a promise.

      But, we went to see the Light of the World. And when we found Him, he was coddled dark in vestry corners and only our cameras could trace His visage. Until, that is, Lorraine discovered the light switch.

      On came gilt and glow! And there He stood, knocking on the door of souls. Thorn-crowned and carmine covered! A bat atop the withered soul's portal….

      We returned to Moreton in burst of golden warmth. The sun broke through, promising pleasantness. And that night we mingled and marveled at new renderings, and we renewed fast friendships. We talked Birds and Babies, elves and angels. We heard tales of Aslan and of Aragorn. And just as jet lag took us, we took to timbered halls for scented slumber.

      Remaining days were fleet, and I spent hours in dreamy depths, pencil in hand, shaking chimeras from the shadows. Then, de profundis! Back to Redesdale Hall clutching dragons, or cats, or squirrels, or gnarled trees: presents for the patient petitioner.

      And now we're back. Gilt flecks flit past my face. Confetti colour jostles thoughts of gouash, fabric, acrylic, and oil. These damsels dart out, gather glory, and return to their hive with jewels of nectar and pollen. Lorraine and I have done likewise, but our bounty is counted in smiles, in laughter, and in promises for next time, next time, next time….

      A blessed Easter to you all! And may God bless you and yours in all adventures!

      - The "Lands of Enchantment" exhibition was a great success, and although Lorraine and I are exhausted and still recovering, we're already looking forward to next year (!). There were so many memorable moments and happy reunions that it's impossible to do justice to all of them. Happily, folks should soon find images from this year's exhibit at www.Photobucket.com . Search for user "threefarthingstone", and click on "Click here to see this user's album ". The latest images should be under the title "Lands of Enchantment".

      - Chris Tolkien, Angie Gardner and I signed books all weekend in Moreton in Marsh, and I ended up spending quite a few hours drawing individual sketches for folks in their copies of "Black & White Ogre Country: The Lost Tales of Hilary Tolkien". For others who were unable to attend, I'll be happy and honoured to sign copies at upcoming events…watch this newsletter and my website for updates on where I'll be in coming months!

      - The second issue of Silver Leaves, the journal of the White Tree Fund (see http://www.whitetreefund.org ) is now out. It focuses on the Inklings, and somewhat more specifically on C.S. Lewis than the other members of that august society. The editors of the journal kindly used several of my Narnia-inspired paintings to complement the other illustrations in the issue. Please take a look!

      - The St. Austin Review (StAR), now has a new, blog-based website at http://www.staustinreview.com/ . The new site includes more timely info on current issues, plus a blog (The Ink Desk) that will include writings by many of StAR's regular contributors. Please take a look! The essays and observations posted will be changing

      - I had the honour of having a gifted amateur video-maker create a really lovely tribute video of some of my work and post to YouTube. Please take a look at her site at http://www.youtube.com/megansspark . Scan down to find Megan's video entitled "Jef Murray". Alternatively, you can just go to YouTube.com and search for "Jef Murray".