Re: Mentions of Tolkien in David Crystal's books

  • dbratman1
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2009
      I was curious enough about this to go look at the books. I was mildly stunned at how _little_ Crystal has to say about hobbit dialect in his four pages on the subject - Shippey gets whole chapters out of this kind of stuff - but I was amused in the other when he suggests a connection between "mithril" and "Bovril" on the grounds that they're both words derived from invented languages that share an ending rare though not unknown in English. However, he keeps meandering around, out of and then back into his subjects.