Re: [mythsoc] Interesting item in an article in _The Washington Post_

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
      I looked up the article again today while at the library.

      It IS September 8, 1947, NOT August.

      The Artzybasheff painting is really charming. It is in full color, with a
      large grey devil of rather comical cast, a la gargoyle, at the right (Lewis'
      left) and only part of a more colorful angel (halo, wing, shoulder) showing
      on the other side. CSL himself looks right-down handsome (but recognizable),
      and has brown hair, sparkling warm brown eyes, and a brown or perhaps tweed
      jacket. Coincidentally, the lettercol of the week leads off with high praise
      for another Artzybasheff cover. I wonder where A's originals went...

      The article itself is long and thorough and quite good, with only one obvious
      error which is repeated in a subtitle: referring to a resurrected Lord who
      ate "boiled fish." Gag! =Broiled=, please. (Luke 24:42) The error is not
      Lewis', I am sure.
      And only one TIME-ism that I noted. The magazine was known back then for its
      "snappy" word coinages (most of them pretty ghastly) and in this article it
      says that Lewis "has given up radiorating." (radio - orating, blech)

      Illustrations include "God," by Wm Blake; "Screwtape," by Lewis; and
      portraits of major influences MacDonald and Williams.

      There's an interesting little paragraph about the household w/ Mrs Moore
      which keeps things very sketchy except to say that intimates know she is not
      really his "mother."

      A small b&w version of the cover is at <A
      HREF="http://geocities.yahoo.com/toto?s=76000019">http://geocities.yahoo.com/t
      oto?s=76000019</A> but in no way does it justice.

      Here's the article: <A
      HREF="http://www.apologetics.org/articles/cslewis.html">Apologetics: C. S.
      Lewis in Time Magazine</A> I wish I knew who wrote it.

      And here's a piece on Artzybasheff, but alas, w/o the Lewis painting: <A
      HREF="http://www.bpib.com/artzybas.htm">Boris Artzybasheff Biography</A>

      Mary S
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
        I've seen the Time cover in question and, in fact, have photocopied it (though i
        don't know where the copy is).

        Ted

        PS: Try a large university library that has bound copies of Time.

        WendellWag@... wrote:

        > There's an article in _The Washington Post_ (July 24th, page A7) about George
        > W. Bush's (and his campaign advisors') attempts to speak to the evangelical
        > communty. He was introduced by one aide, George Wead, to many evangelic
        > leaders. He made attempts to stay in touch with some of them and, among
        > other things, "he dug up an old Time magazine cover of author C. S. Lewis,
        > the evangelicals' leterary favorite, to send to a Wheaton College professor
        > he had met with."
        >
        > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
        > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
        > DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL ARGUMENT.
        >
        > My question is "How difficult would this be?"
        >
        > I've been reading and collecting Lewis for over twenty-five years and I've
        > never seen that issue of _Time_ (from August 8, 1947). I checked on E-bay
        > and abebooks.com and they don't have any copies. Have any of you seen that
        > issue? Do any of you own it? Is there any way that someone could obtain it
        > (particularly someone who had not previously been a Lewis collector) except
        > by paying a dealer for a extensive (and expensive) search.
        >
        > Wendell Wagner

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Box X041, Department of English
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
        tsherman@...
        tedsherman@...
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2000
          O.K., once again: I've seen the cover in pictures in books. I have no
          interest in seeing it again. I can read the article if I want online. I'll
          do that eventually, but I'm not in a hurry. I didn't want to find the
          magazine myself. I just wanted to know, if someone wanted to give someone
          else a copy of the magazine, how hard it would be to find a copy. Could one
          just "dig up" a copy, or would it take an extensive and expensive search?

          Wendell
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2000
            On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 Stolzi@... wrote:

            > And only one TIME-ism that I noted. The magazine was known back then for its
            > "snappy" word coinages (most of them pretty ghastly) and in this article it
            > says that Lewis "has given up radiorating." (radio - orating, blech)

            For some reason I read "radiorating" as a variant of "rotating", and
            imagine Lewis spinning in place. No wonder he gave it up.

            Time-ese was, thank goodness, already dying out by 1947. It was a bizarre
            dialect, vaguely based on the abbreviated language called "telegraphese"
            which journalists used to master to save on by-the-word charges when
            sending dispatches by telegram back to the office. Some newspapers and
            magazines would print the dispatches that way, and the style became
            associated with "snappy" journalism. Time - founded in 1923, the height
            of the "Front Page" era - then took it up deliberately, even when it
            wasn't economically necessary.

            Time-ese had a peculiar grammar as well as an abbreviated vocabulary. My
            favorite example comes from an article about Time which The New Yorker
            published in the mid-30s: the content was utterly straight, but the
            article was written _in_ a parody of Time-ese. This was their
            description of Time-ese itself: "Backward ran sentences until reeled the
            mind."

            This type of writing, and its companion of sloppy thinking, probably
            contributed more to Lewis's dislike of journalism than the personal
            intrusiveness which is more characteristic of journalism today than it was
            then. (There were other factors as well, of course.) I do not recall
            reading anything about why Lewis consented to be profiled by Time, or his
            reaction to the result: though words like "radiorator" would make the
            lowliest English teacher's teeth ache, let alone Lewis's.

            But I am fond of Tolkien's comment on the occasion of a newspaper
            columnist calling CSL "Ascetic Mr. Lewis." Tolkien said "I ask you! He
            put away three pints in a very short session we had this morning, and said
            he was 'going short for Lent.'" (Tolkien's Letters, no. 56)

            David Bratman
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
              Here's the letter I've just sent to The Washington Post:

              To the editors:

              In an article on page A7 of the July 24, 2000 issue, you write that as a
              memento of a meeting, George W. Bush "dug up" and sent to a Wheaton College
              professor a copy of a Time magazine cover showing C. S. Lewis. My first
              reaction was that it's impossible to just casually dig up this issue (which
              is from September 8, 1947). In over twenty-five years of reading and
              casually collecting Lewis's works, I've never seen a copy of it. It's not
              that the issue is really rare. Lots of libraries have complete sets of Time
              magazine, but I'll assume that Bush didn't steal the copy from a library.
              It's not the sort of thing that can be found by casually searching used
              bookstores though, and I assumed that it would take paying a dealer to do an
              extensive (and rather expensive) search if one wanted a copy.

              I asked people on an E-mail mailing list I belong to just how hard it would
              be to find this issue. To my surprise, one person was able to suggest a
              fairly simple way to obtain a copy. He did a search on the Internet on
              dealers of used Time magazines. He found quite a few of them and E-mailed
              them all asking if they had the issue. Several of them did, and he was able
              to buy a copy for only four dollars. So I conclude that it's not that
              difficult to obtain the issue with the C. S. Lewis cover now that we have the
              Internet. But then, we have Al Gore to thank for that, right?

              Sincerely,
              Wendell Wagner, Jr.

              Anyway, I won't be leaving till the 13th, but for those who are leaving this
              week, have a nice trip and I'll see you at Mythcon.
            • Ted Sherman
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                Uh, Wendell, what's the point?

                Ted

                PS: I won't be at MythCon this year--don't want to get too near the Cracks of
                Doom!

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 5, 2000
                  tedsherman@... writes:

                  << Uh, Wendell, what's the point? >>