Fw: Harris Two Day Event, April 20 and 21

  • Michael Cunningham
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2009
      I thought I would forwarded this on to (possibly) interested parties.

      Michael

      -----

      The Anglo Saxon Studies Colloquium
      announces two events with

      Stephen J. Harris
      (University of Massachusetts)

      Monday April 20
      at Rutgers University

      6.00 pm Lecture
      Murray Hall, Room 302

      "Did the Anglo-Saxons Understand Beauty?"

      Seamus Heaney obliquely observed of North Germanic poetry its tendency
      to "trust the feel of what nubbed treasure/ your hands have known." With
      few exceptions, the poetic vocabulary of Old English shies from explicit
      abstraction. There is no mention of the True or the Good, let alone of
      physical beauty--descriptions of people and landscapes are exceedingly
      rare, for example. As a consequence, post-Enlightenment critics trying
      to recover an Anglo-Saxon Weltanschauung are faced with methodological
      difficulties that become increasingly pronounced as we come to search
      for literary reflexes of identity, ethnicity, gender, and so forth. What
      form did their abstract world take? How was it manifested in material
      form? How did their poetry relate to ideas of the Beautiful´┐Żif it did at
      all? And if we are to answer such questions, what would our answers look
      like? In this talk, I discuss Hebrew, Latin, Greek, and Anglo-Saxon
      ideas of the Beautiful and how one might go about looking for Beauty in
      Old English poetry.

      ***
      followed by:

      Tuesday April 21
      Workshop at Columbia University

      First Workshop: "Beautiful Materialities"
      Apr 21, 1pm - 2.30 pm 401 Hamilton

      Second Workshop: "Community"
      April 21, 4.10 pm - 5.30 pm 501 Int'l Affairs building (CIPA)

      Please send an email to assc@... to register.
      Reading materials will be made available in advance to those who
      register in advance.
      Attendance is free and open to the public.

      ***

      To join our e-mail list, please send a message to:
      ASSC@...

      For further updates and future talks, please check our website:
      http://www.columbia.edu/cu/assc

      ASSC Sponsored by: The Department of English and Comparative Literature,
      Columbia University; Dean for the Humanities, New York University; The
      Department of English, Princeton University; The Medieval Studies
      Program, Princeton University; The Department of English, University of
      Rhode Island; The Department of English, Rutgers University.