Re: [mythsoc] Eddison

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2009
      John -

      Tolkien's Letters are your best source. There you will read, e.g. on page
      258, "I read [Eddison's] works with great enjoyment for their sheer literary
      merit." He has some criticisms about Eddison's characters, nomenclature,
      and philosophy, but concludes, "In spite of all which, I still think of him
      as the greatest and most convincing writer of 'invented worlds' that I have
      read." High praise from such a notoriously picky reader as Tolkien.

      Tolkien and Eddison met twice when C.S. Lewis, who also admired Eddison,
      invited him to meet with the Inklings.