Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter IV (w / spoilers)

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2000
      LSolarion@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 07/29/2000 9:18:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      > margdean@... writes:
      >
      > <<
      > How do you account for Dobby's attitude? Was he sent round the
      > bend by the Malfoys' cruel treatment? He seems to continue to
      > enjoy working, but wants to be paid as a human would. Is he
      > enlightened or looneytunes? >>

      > As someone pointed out in the book, Dobby was unusual for a house-elf. His
      > attitude was certainly unpopular, even unnatural, from their perspective.
      > It's an interesting question: who gets to define what a certain group's
      > attitude and values are to be? If the house-elves are happy and fulfilled in
      > their natures by freely offered service (and that choice is important; it
      > would be different if overseers with whips were standing behind them forcing
      > them to work against their will -- which of course Dumbledore would never
      > allow), who is some self-righteous meddler to interfere? Should they be
      > "freed" by force? Is that freedom? If it turns happiness into misery and
      > contentment into frustration, how is it a good thing? If a creature's nature
      > is to serve, they are happiest serving.

      The next question that comes to mind at this point (at least to
      mine) is how the house-elves came to have that "nature" in the
      first place. What are their origins? Did they come to be
      independently, with the impulse toward service already there? Or
      did some primal wizard or group of wizards alter them somehow?
      If the latter, does that count as enslavement?

      > Our natures are disgusted at this, I
      > think, because we are fallen and prone to rebellion against the idea of
      > service (which we label derogatorily as subservience, obsequiousness, etc.).
      > But that's us. We may call a dog's devotion fawning or grovelling (unless we
      > are its object), but to the dog, it's natural.

      It's natural to a dog because it serves a practical purpose in
      the social organization of dogs. That it transfers over to
      humans in some situations turns out to be beneficial for both
      species (by and large. There are dog owners, of course, who take
      just as fearsome advantage of the dog's natural inclinations as
      the Malfoys did of Dobby's). How about house-elves? Same or
      different? Were their impulses directed toward humans (wizards)
      originally, or were they =conditioned= to direct them that way?
      If the latter, is the resulting symbiosis beneficial?

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2000
        In a message dated 8/1/0 2:53:54 PM, Julia Palffy wrote:

        <<The veelas in Harry Potter reminded me of the Wilis in the classical ballet
        "Giselle" - though it's a long time since I read that story. >>

        They're the same. _Willi_ is just a German spelling of South Slavic _vily_.
        Adam's librettist obviously got the story from a Germanic (probably Austrian)
        source.
        Alexei
      • Sophie Masson
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2000
          The idea for house-elves came, I'm sure, from the story The Elves and the
          Shoemaker, in which the naked elves are given clothes and shoes at the end,
          and thus lose their servitude. They in turn have echoes in folklore with
          brownies and the like, who are tied to people's houses--and in turn derive
          in a way from the Roman 'genii loci' who had their own shrines in each
          house, and protected it.
          Very clever, as usual, for JK to use these pre-existing things--my only
          problem with it is that the house-elves' language and attitudes sound very
          close to the 'happy slaves' idea of the Deep South..but then, I think that's
          probably meant deliberately. Everyone except Hermione has a blind spot about
          it.
          Sophie
          Author site:
          http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm

        • LSolarion@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2000
            In a message dated 08/01/2000 10:10:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
            margdean@... writes:

            <<
            The next question that comes to mind at this point (at least to
            mine) is how the house-elves came to have that "nature" in the
            first place. What are their origins? Did they come to be
            independently, with the impulse toward service already there? Or
            did some primal wizard or group of wizards alter them somehow?
            If the latter, does that count as enslavement?

            > Our natures are disgusted at this, I
            > think, because we are fallen and prone to rebellion against the idea of
            > service (which we label derogatorily as subservience, obsequiousness,
            etc.).
            > But that's us. We may call a dog's devotion fawning or grovelling (unless
            we
            > are its object), but to the dog, it's natural.

            It's natural to a dog because it serves a practical purpose in
            the social organization of dogs. That it transfers over to
            humans in some situations turns out to be beneficial for both
            species (by and large. There are dog owners, of course, who take
            just as fearsome advantage of the dog's natural inclinations as
            the Malfoys did of Dobby's). How about house-elves? Same or
            different? Were their impulses directed toward humans (wizards)
            originally, or were they =conditioned= to direct them that way?
            If the latter, is the resulting symbiosis beneficial?

            :::silky voice of the Enterprise computer answers:::"I'm sorry; insufficient
            data to answer these questions."
            Speaking hypothetically, if a wizard in the past had changed the nature of
            house elves to make them love to serve, I suppose you could make a case for
            saying that the particular elves so changed were enslaved. However, there
            just isn't a mugglish analogy. Elves are magical creatures, with different
            natures than ours. Perhaps they are unfallen, and therefore lack the
            instinctive rebelliousness of our sinful natures (though of course Rowling
            offers no such hints, thank goodness). We just don't know.

            However, service seems to be the current dominant value in house-elf society,
            as can be seen by the sudden hostility that greeted Dobby when he preached
            (somewhat defensively) his ideal of freedom. Much like the village idiot
            spouting the praise of folly at a Mensa convention. Poor Dobby can't help it,
            he's a bit, you know, off...but trying to convert others arouses the social
            defense system.
            The symbiosis seems to work to everyone's benefit, I think; at least,
            everyone but Hermione the meddler and Dobby the house-elf village idiot are
            happy with it. If the house-elves see no harm in it, why should we?