film adaptations

  • Sara Ciborski
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28 12:54 PM
      Since this topic has been discussed at great length in regard to the
      Jackson films, I hesitate to bring it up again...but there is an
      interesting article in today's Guardian by Salman Rushdie, well, I
      guess interesting to film buffs, for it is very, very long. I kept
      reading, however, wondering if he might mention the Jackson films and
      indeed he does, in the 22nd paragraph, opining that Jackson's cinematic
      style is preferable to Tolkien's writing, which he calls pompous and
      some other things. Disgusted, I stopped reading there, but others may
      find his views on literature-into-film worthwhile. Here is the link.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/feb/28/salman-rushdie-novels-film-
      adaptations

      Sara Ciborski
    • Grace Monk
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28 1:03 PM
        Now we know why Padma left him...

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28 1:06 PM
          Rushdie has been uttering rot like that for a long time. See his review of
          Jackson's TT:

          <http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2003-January/002176.html>

          > Since this topic has been discussed at great length in regard to the
          > Jackson films, I hesitate to bring it up again...but there is an
          > interesting article in today's Guardian by Salman Rushdie, well, I
          > guess interesting to film buffs, for it is very, very long. I kept
          > reading, however, wondering if he might mention the Jackson films and
          > indeed he does, in the 22nd paragraph, opining that Jackson's cinematic
          > style is preferable to Tolkien's writing, which he calls pompous and
          > some other things. Disgusted, I stopped reading there, but others may
          > find his views on literature-into-film worthwhile. Here is the link.
          >
          > http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/feb/28/salman-rushdie-novels-film-
          > adaptations
          >
          > Sara Ciborski

        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
            Why am I not surprised? I respect Rushdie, but he's part of the PC apex, what I call the glitterati nestled in NY, Hollywood and other elite places. In those areas, JRRT is often looked down upon. I sometimes find Rushdie's writing pompous. ---djb