Re: Terry Pratchett Knighted

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 20, 2009
      Of course nearly a half-century ago the Honours List was
      rather stingier. I don't think *any* popular author got a
      shoulder tap before Agatha Christie in 1971.* Now of course
      they hand them out to pop stars and whomever. (The first
      (honorary) KBE to a rocker, Bob Geldof, was for his
      humanitarian work. Recently there's been no such excuse, Sir
      Elton).

      Note: it's rumored, probably accurately, that Lewis declined
      a proffered knighthood. However, that would have been for
      his Christian apologetics, not his fiction.

      *Yes, I know that Dames aren't actually dubbed a l'epee.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Wirkkala" <mwirkk@...>

      <sacnoth@...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 20, 2009
        "William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:

        > Note: it's rumored, probably accurately, that Lewis declined
        > a proffered knighthood. However, that would have been for
        > his Christian apologetics, not his fiction.

        What Lewis declined, in 1951, was a CBE - the same honour that Tolkien
        received in 1972. That stands for Commander of the British Empire and is
        NOT a knighthood. It is a lesser honour of the same kind. (See "Order of
        the British Empire" in Wikipedia if you care.) What Lewis wrote in
        declining was, "There are always knaves who say, and fools who believe, that
        my religious writings are all covert anti-Leftist propaganda, and my
        appearance in the Honours List woul;d of course strengthen their hands. It
        is therefore better that I should not appear there." (Collected Letters, v.
        3, p. 147)

        > Of course nearly a half-century ago the Honours List was
        > rather stingier. I don't think *any* popular author got a
        > shoulder tap before Agatha Christie in 1971.* Now of course
        > they hand them out to pop stars and whomever. (The first
        > (honorary) KBE to a rocker, Bob Geldof, was for his
        > humanitarian work. Recently there's been no such excuse, Sir
        > Elton).

        Actually, the MBE in particular - another, lower, honour in that Order - has
        been a subject of scorn since it was invented during WW1. A.A. Milne wrote
        a deeply sarcastic poem criticizing war profiteers who received it. The
        first pop stars to get it were the Beatles in 1965, and wasn't there a furor
        over that. It was the government's idea - they wanted to seem hip - and the
        justification was that the Beatles had enormously helped Britain's trade
        balance.
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2009
          On Feb 20, 2009, at 6:47 AM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
          > Of course nearly a half-century ago the Honours List was rather
          > stingier. I don't think *any* popular author got a shoulder tap
          > before Agatha Christie in 1971.

          The major exception being Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, though he received
          his knighthood (in 1902?) for writing propaganda in support of the
          Boer War (ugh), not for the Sherlock Holmes stories.

          --JDR
        • William Cloud Hicklin
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 25, 2009
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "David Bratman" <dbratman@
            ...> wrote:

            > "William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Note: it's rumored, probably accurately, that Lewis
            declined
            > > a proffered knighthood. However, that would have been
            for
            > > his Christian apologetics, not his fiction.
            >
            > What Lewis declined, in 1951, was a CBE - the same honour
            that Tolkien
            > received in 1972. That stands for Commander of the
            British Empire and is
            > NOT a knighthood. It is a lesser honour of the same
            kind. (See "Order of
            > the British Empire" in Wikipedia if you care.) What Lewis
            wrote in
            > declining was, "There are always knaves who say, and fools
            who believe, that
            > my religious writings are all covert anti-Leftist
            propaganda, and my
            > appearance in the Honours List woul;d of course strengthen
            their hands. It
            > is therefore better that I should not appear
            there." (Collected Letters, v.
            > 3, p. 147)
            >
            > > Of course nearly a half-century ago the Honours List was
            > > rather stingier. I don't think *any* popular author got
            > > shoulder tap before Agatha Christie in 1971.* Now of
            course
            > > they hand them out to pop stars and whomever. (The first
            > > (honorary) KBE to a rocker, Bob Geldof, was for his
            > > humanitarian work. Recently there's been no such excuse,
            Sir
            > > Elton).
            >
            > Actually, the MBE in particular - another, lower, honour
            in that Order - has
            > been a subject of scorn since it was invented during WW1.
            A.A. Milne wrote
            > a deeply sarcastic poem criticizing war profiteers who
            received it. The
            > first pop stars to get it were the Beatles in 1965, and
            wasn't there a furor
            > over that. It was the government's idea - they wanted to
            seem hip - and the
            > justification was that the Beatles had enormously helped
            Britain's trade
            > balance.

            Oh, there's always been a bit of scorn for the way the lower
            grades have been (according to some) passed out like
            popcorn: "Minimal Bloody Effort" and "Other Buggers' Effort"
            are some of the snarks. But awards of the K's used to be
            held on a tighter leash than they are now.
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 25, 2009
              "William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:

              > Oh, there's always been a bit of scorn for the way the lower
              > grades have been (according to some) passed out like
              > popcorn: "Minimal Bloody Effort" and "Other Buggers' Effort"
              > are some of the snarks. But awards of the K's used to be
              > held on a tighter leash than they are now.

              What is true is that there's been "grade inflation," at least in these
              specific areas of renown. A degree of pop-music, or literary, fame that
              might get you an MBE forty years ago is more likely to get you a knighthood
              now. And certain areas of past abuse - honours to corrupt political party
              contributors and such - are not quite as blatant as they used to be, though
              problems still crop up.

              But a statement that the Honours List used to be "stingier" might be read
              that it used to bear more relation to actual merit than it does now, and I
              don't think that's the case. Over a longer term - look back more than 150
              years - and literary merit was rarely recognized at all.

              That wasn't even viewed as the purpose of honours. They were more
              recognitions of social standing. Lord Melbourne famously said, "What I like
              about the Order of the Garter [the highest order of knighthood] is that
              there is no damned merit about it." Partly to address this is why a
              non-knightly honour actually called the Order of Merit was created in 1902.
              It was intended to be without the social cachet of a knighthood or peerage,
              in particular that you didn't have to be rich to live up to social
              obligations that went with it. And some of the same spirit has leaked into
              the OBE and other honours since then. Now that the hereditary peers are out
              of the House of Lords - and even to an extent before then - being granted a
              peerage today pretty much means only that you can speak in the Lords, with
              none of the subjective connotations of nobility that being a peer used to
              have.