Re: [mythsoc] Fredrick/McBride - Women Among the Inklings

  • Jeremy Edmonds
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
      Just to close out some parts of this thread, Greenwood (owned by ABC-Clio now) confirmed with me on the phone that this title is now Print-On-Demand, thus the price increase. For those so inclined to go this route, the publisher's price is $106.95 plus shipping and tax (my shipping estimate was $11 plus California tax brought the total to about $125).

      http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/GM1245.aspx

      No, I haven't ordered a copy yet.

      Thanks again for all the help and lively discussion! And as a side note, I would love to see a second edition of _Legendarium_, and a second edition of the _Bibliography_.

      Jeremy
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
        Jeremy Edmonds wrote:
        > Greenwood [...] confirmed with me on the phone that this title is
        > now Print-On-Demand, thus the price increase.

        *Thus* the price increase? I thought POD was supposed to cost less, not more. Any number of POD shops I might name could produce the volume for a quarter, perhaps even a fifth the price they are asking. This doesn't make any sense to me.

        Jason

      • Jeremy Edmonds
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
          Jason Fisher said:
          > *Thus* the price increase? I thought POD was supposed to cost less, not
          > more. Any number of POD shops I might name could produce the volume for a
          > quarter, perhaps even a fifth the price they are asking. This doesn't make
          > any sense to me.

          Can't agree with you more - Lulu.com says a book like this would cost approx $22 for a single copy order. I think the logic goes something like "this allows us to technically keep the book in print so we don't lose rights to it, but makes it inconvenient enough that no-one will bother to actually order a copy." Or something like that.
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
            Jeremy,

            >I have a US copy from 1993 that lists St Pauls as "first published by" -
            >was there a separate British edition prior to the 1st Oak Knoll edition?
            >Is it distinguishable from the Oak Knoll edition?

            All copies of the first printing have the dual imprint St Paul's
            Bibliographies and Oak Knoll Press. St Paul's was primary, with Oak Knoll
            co-publishing in the U.S. Oak Knoll later absorbed St Paul's -- in fact,
            for my Arthur Ransome bibliography (2000) I signed the contract with St
            Paul's but completed production with Oak Knoll. The second printing of the
            Tolkien Bibliography has the dual imprint Oak Knoll Press and British
            Library, and the "second printing" notice you cite. The copy sent me at the
            time is printed by ordinary offset, with no reduction in quality, on a more
            cream-colored paper and with a little heavier inking (an improvement),
            though is more tightly bound (not an improvement) in a similar blue cloth
            with similar silver stamping. If you have a recent copy still with "second
            printing", then Oak Knoll must have run off more copies photographically
            without changing the copyright page information. I count a third printing
            because Oak Knoll told me they were going back to press pending a second
            edition, since the book continues to sell (if slowly).

            Wayne