Re: Fredrick/McBride - Women Among the Inklings

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
      I contacted both authors, and neither had a copy to part with. Good
      thing to let bad scholarship die quietly, maybe?

      Still, I'd love a copy. Ugh.
    • Edith Crowe
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
        Apparently that is what happened. Makes me glad I retired from the library
        biz when I did--making my inadequate budget stretch far enough was
        impossible in 2007; much worse now.

        Edith

        --
        Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
        The Mythopoeic Society

      • Jeremy Edmonds
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
          Just to close out some parts of this thread, Greenwood (owned by ABC-Clio now) confirmed with me on the phone that this title is now Print-On-Demand, thus the price increase. For those so inclined to go this route, the publisher's price is $106.95 plus shipping and tax (my shipping estimate was $11 plus California tax brought the total to about $125).

          http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/GM1245.aspx

          No, I haven't ordered a copy yet.

          Thanks again for all the help and lively discussion! And as a side note, I would love to see a second edition of _Legendarium_, and a second edition of the _Bibliography_.

          Jeremy
        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
            Jeremy Edmonds wrote:
            > Greenwood [...] confirmed with me on the phone that this title is
            > now Print-On-Demand, thus the price increase.

            *Thus* the price increase? I thought POD was supposed to cost less, not more. Any number of POD shops I might name could produce the volume for a quarter, perhaps even a fifth the price they are asking. This doesn't make any sense to me.

            Jason

          • Jeremy Edmonds
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
              Jason Fisher said:
              > *Thus* the price increase? I thought POD was supposed to cost less, not
              > more. Any number of POD shops I might name could produce the volume for a
              > quarter, perhaps even a fifth the price they are asking. This doesn't make
              > any sense to me.

              Can't agree with you more - Lulu.com says a book like this would cost approx $22 for a single copy order. I think the logic goes something like "this allows us to technically keep the book in print so we don't lose rights to it, but makes it inconvenient enough that no-one will bother to actually order a copy." Or something like that.
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
                Jeremy,

                >I have a US copy from 1993 that lists St Pauls as "first published by" -
                >was there a separate British edition prior to the 1st Oak Knoll edition?
                >Is it distinguishable from the Oak Knoll edition?

                All copies of the first printing have the dual imprint St Paul's
                Bibliographies and Oak Knoll Press. St Paul's was primary, with Oak Knoll
                co-publishing in the U.S. Oak Knoll later absorbed St Paul's -- in fact,
                for my Arthur Ransome bibliography (2000) I signed the contract with St
                Paul's but completed production with Oak Knoll. The second printing of the
                Tolkien Bibliography has the dual imprint Oak Knoll Press and British
                Library, and the "second printing" notice you cite. The copy sent me at the
                time is printed by ordinary offset, with no reduction in quality, on a more
                cream-colored paper and with a little heavier inking (an improvement),
                though is more tightly bound (not an improvement) in a similar blue cloth
                with similar silver stamping. If you have a recent copy still with "second
                printing", then Oak Knoll must have run off more copies photographically
                without changing the copyright page information. I count a third printing
                because Oak Knoll told me they were going back to press pending a second
                edition, since the book continues to sell (if slowly).

                Wayne