Re: [mythsoc] Fredrick/McBride - Women Among the Inklings

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
      Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

      >I got a phone call today (in my role as distributor for the Mythopoeic Press) from someone looking to order a copy of _Women Among the Inklings_. They thought we carried it due to the review on our website ( http://www.mythsoc.org/reviews/women.among.the.inklings/ ).
      >
      >My two question are:
      >
      >(a) it appears according to the publisher, that the book was not $59.00 as the online review states, but £59.95, or almost double (pounds rather than dollars). Which price is printed in the original review in Mythprint 39:6 (#243) June 2002? Was the book originally $59 and has since gone up? For reference, http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/GM1245.aspx

      The original review (which I wrote) says $59. Definitely it's gone up.

      >Worldcat also shows that there are only three copies in libraries all around the world, and all three of those are in Germany. Was this book banned or something? :-)
      >http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/231883630

      What you're looking at is a German cataloging record that didn't get properly merged with the Anglo-American one. Whenever you see something like that on Worldcat (and it happens often, particularly with German records) check your original search again. There's 356 copies in libraries here:
      http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/45963200

      By the way, time has not maintained my semi-favorable opinion of this book. I now consider the authors' ignorance and tendentiousness to be harmful rather than forgivable.

      David Bratman
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
        Wow. Going onto amazon, bookfinder, &c. and looking at the resale
        prices was quite a shock.

        I have no idea why this book is going for such high prices,
        starting at over $100 and going way up from there (one dealer is
        trying to get $1500 for it).

        I don't remember what the original price was, but since Greenwood
        is an American publisher it was in dollars, not pounds. I do remember
        putting off buying it for several years since it was fairly
        expensive, but certainly it would have been no more than $59, if that.

        How odd. Why this one, of all the vast array of books on Tolkien
        in the last decade? It sounds as if it were either severely
        underprinted or as if much of the print run were lost. But if that
        had been the case, I don't think I'd have been able to get it in
        2005, four years after it'd been released, and off amazon.com at
        that. I wouldn't be surprised if this were that Prentice-Hall book
        that was cancelled before publication so that only a few review
        copies got out, but this was readily available for years. Odd.

        --JDR

        On Feb 18, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Jeremy Edmonds wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I got a phone call today (in my role as distributor for the
        > Mythopoeic Press) from someone looking to order a copy of _Women
        > Among the Inklings_. They thought we carried it due to the review
        > on our website ( http://www.mythsoc.org/reviews/
        > women.among.the.inklings/ ).
        >
        > My two question are:
        >
        > (a) it appears according to the publisher, that the book was not
        > $59.00 as the online review states, but £59.95, or almost double
        > (pounds rather than dollars). Which price is printed in the
        > original review in Mythprint 39:6 (#243) June 2002? Was the book
        > originally $59 and has since gone up? For reference, http://
        > www.greenwood.com/catalog/GM1245.aspx
        >
        > (b) Does anyone have a copy they would be willing to part with?
        >
        > Worldcat also shows that there are only three copies in libraries
        > all around the world, and all three of those are in Germany. Was
        > this book banned or something? :-)
        >
        > http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/231883630
        >
        > Jeremy
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
          The answer is simple, alas, and you've already cited it, John:
          Greenwood.

          They did the same thing to my and Verlyn's (editors) _Tolkien's
          Legendarium_: after selling out the initial print run (itself at
          libraries-only pricing), they 1) switched the book to print-on-demand
          only (and this with a _scanned_, and noticeably reduced-quality,
          reproduction of the _printed_ text) and 2) jacked up the price even
          further.

          Sigh.

          Carl
        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
            Well, I've seen this with other Tolkien books from academic publishers as well - my own War book goes for as high as $83, the Anderson and Hammond bibliography was over $100 last I looked, as was one of Jane Chance's anthologies - the publisher won't risk printing a lot and keeping a large stock, so a secondary market springs up charging as much as it can get away with.

            And Women Among the Inklings was a Greenwood Press book like mine, so it was kind of orphaned when they got bought out/changed their focus - it's unlikely to be reprinted by Greenwood since they don't do that kind of book anymore.

            Also, may I recommend http://thecheapestbook.com, which goes out and hunts all kinds of sites for you.

            Janet

            Wow. Going onto amazon, bookfinder, &c. and looking at the resale
            prices was quite a shock.

            I have no idea why this book is going for such high prices,
            starting at over $100 and going way up from there (one dealer is
            trying to get $1500 for it).

            I don't remember what the original price was, but since Greenwood
            is an American publisher it was in dollars, not pounds. I do remember
            putting off buying it for several years since it was fairly
            expensive, but certainly it would have been no more than $59, if that.

            How odd. Why this one, of all the vast array of books on Tolkien
            in the last decade? It sounds as if it were either severely
            underprinted or as if much of the print run were lost. But if that
            had been the case, I don't think I'd have been able to get it in
            2005, four years after it'd been released, and off amazon.com at
            that. I wouldn't be surprised if this were that Prentice-Hall book
            that was cancelled before publication so that only a few review
            copies got out, but this was readily available for years. Odd.

            --JDR

            On Feb 18, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Jeremy Edmonds wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I got a phone call today (in my role as distributor for the
            > Mythopoeic Press) from someone looking to order a copy of _Women
            > Among the Inklings_. They thought we carried it due to the review
            > on our website ( http://www.mythsoc.org/reviews/
            > women.among.the.inklings/ ).
            >
            > My two question are:
            >
            > (a) it appears according to the publisher, that the book was not
            > $59.00 as the online review states, but £59.95, or almost double
            > (pounds rather than dollars). Which price is printed in the
            > original review in Mythprint 39:6 (#243) June 2002? Was the book
            > originally $59 and has since gone up? For reference, http://
            > www.greenwood.com/catalog/GM1245.aspx
            >
            > (b) Does anyone have a copy they would be willing to part with?
            >
            > Worldcat also shows that there are only three copies in libraries
            > all around the world, and all three of those are in Germany. Was
            > this book banned or something? :-)
            >
            > http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/231883630
            >
            > Jeremy

          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
              On Feb 18, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

              > it's unlikely to be reprinted by Greenwood

              True in the sense of "issuing another print run", but you can in fact
              still buy the book from Greenwood, for a mere $106.95:

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
                True, and sad if what you say about the quality of the reprinting is accurate. Bleah! But it's unlikely Greenwood will be interested in a second edition with all the neat new stuff I've learned - and so far they have not been interested in letting me shop a second edition to a different publisher, either.

                Janet

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
                  On Feb 18, 2009, at 5:54 PM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

                  > True, and sad if what you say about the quality of the reprinting is
                  > accurate.

                  It's certainly true of _Tolkien's Legendarium_ (I even complained to
                  them about it, but all I got in return was some non-sensical
                  gobbledygook that evaded the issue.) I wish we could get the rights to
                  _TL_ back and issue an inexpensive paperback.
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
                    I suppose the reason you (and by "you" I mean Janet as well as Carl/Verlyn) can't get the rights back is that the books are technically still in print? I shudder, though, at what contract provisions would prevent Janet from selling a revised edition elsewhere if the original publisher has turned it down.

                    >On Feb 18, 2009, at 5:54 PM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:
                    >
                    >> True, and sad if what you say about the quality of the reprinting is
                    >> accurate.
                    >>

                    >It's certainly true of _Tolkien's Legendarium_ (I even complained to
                    >them about it, but all I got in return was some non-sensical
                    >gobbledygook that evaded the issue.) I wish we could get the rights to
                    >_TL_ back and issue an inexpensive paperback.

                  • Jeremy Edmonds
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
                      Thanks to all the quick responses! My notes in response:

                      Worldcat: My search skills are lacking today - I tried two or three ways, but could only get the German results to pop up. Thanks, David for the proper short link for the real results! Hopefully there is a library copy nearby (or inter-library loanable) to the customer.

                      Carl and buying from Greenwood: I did try the "Add to Cart" button earlier and it will certainly charge you for the book, but it says in the fine print that the book will be back-ordered - only after you try to buy it though. There is no indication on the product page that it is out of print.

                      Janet and thecheapestbook.com - thanks for the note on the site! I will add it to a loop I usually run when I am hunting for hard-to-find titles. I also try:

                      http://used.addall.com
                      http://www.bookfinder.com

                      as you can get differing results between the sites (for example, thecheapestbook doesn't find the copy at Amazon.com, but addall and bookfinder do.)

                      Jeremy
                    • Carl F. Hostetter
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
                        On Feb 18, 2009, at 6:13 PM, Jeremy Edmonds wrote:

                        > Carl and buying from Greenwood: I did try the "Add to Cart" button
                        > earlier and it will certainly charge you for the book, but it says
                        > in the fine print that the book will be back-ordered - only after
                        > you try to buy it though. There is no indication on the product page
                        > that it is out of print.

                        Well, if my experience with _Tolkien's Legendarium_ applies here, my
                        guess is that it's also "print on demand", and that once you order a
                        copy, it will set the print-on-demand wheels creaking and groaning
                        into action, and you'll get a copy in some number of weeks or months.
                      • Edith Crowe
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
                          I am chagrined to report that the erroneous price of $59 was indeed
                          published with our *Mythprint* review. Our bad. Looks like it's still in
                          print from Greenwood--I guess your customer doesn't want to pay the $100+
                          that Greenwood is charging...
                          --
                          Edith Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
                          The Mythopoeic Society
                          On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Jeremy Edmonds <jeremy@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > I got a phone call today (in my role as distributor for the Mythopoeic
                          > Press) from someone looking to order a copy of _Women Among the Inklings_.
                          > They thought we carried it due to the review on our website (
                          > http://www.mythsoc.org/reviews/women.among.the.inklings/ ).
                          >
                          > My two question are:
                          >
                          > (a) it appears according to the publisher, that the book was not $59.00 as
                          > the online review states, but £59.95, or almost double (pounds rather than
                          > dollars). Which price is printed in the original review in Mythprint 39:6
                          > (#243) June 2002? Was the book originally $59 and has since gone up? For
                          > reference, http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/GM1245.aspx
                          >
                          > (b) Does anyone have a copy they would be willing to part with?
                          >
                          > Worldcat also shows that there are only three copies in libraries all
                          > around the world, and all three of those are in Germany. Was this book
                          > banned or something? :-)
                          >
                          > http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/231883630
                          >
                          > Jeremy

                        • Carl F. Hostetter
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
                            I suspect the price really was $59 when the book was first published.
                            But now that it's gone to print on demand, they've raised the price.
                            At least, that's what happened to _Tolkien's Legendarium_.

                            On Feb 18, 2009, at 7:18 PM, Edith Crowe wrote:

                            > I am chagrined to report that the erroneous price of $59 was indeed
                            > published with our *Mythprint* review. Our bad. Looks like it's
                            > still in
                            > print from Greenwood--I guess your customer doesn't want to pay the
                            > $100+
                            > that Greenwood is charging...
                          • Wayne G. Hammond
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 18, 2009
                              Carl wrote:

                              >I suspect the price really was $59 when the book was first published.

                              It was. Christina and I recorded the details in _Tolkien Collector_ 25
                              (October 2001).

                              Janet wrote:

                              >Well, I've seen this with other Tolkien books from academic publishers as
                              >well - my own War book goes for as high as $83, the Anderson and Hammond
                              >bibliography was over $100 last I looked, as was one of Jane Chance's
                              >anthologies - the publisher won't risk printing a lot and keeping a large
                              >stock, so a secondary market springs up charging as much as it can get
                              >away with.

                              Although Oak Knoll Press does have short print runs, it has always had the
                              _Bibliography_ in stock, and currently sells it at www.oakknoll.com for $94.

                              Wayne

                            • Jason Fisher
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
                                Wayne wrote:

                                > Although Oak Knoll Press does have short print runs, it has
                                > always had the _Bibliography_ in stock, and currently sells
                                > it at www.oakknoll. com for $94.

                                Yes, however, I am sad to report that the newer printings also appear to be (in Carl's words, of his and Verlyn's collection) "a _scanned_, and noticeably reduced-quality, reproduction of the _printed_ text." It's also physically smaller than the first edition and printed on lighter paper (it almost puts one in mind of a book club edition). I had a borrowed first-edition copy from the library at the same time the copy I bought arrived, so I was able to compare them side by side.* In fact, Jeremy and I discussed this very issue back in January 2008, and he concurred that it appeared to be photo-reproduced. I'm sorry to learn that Greenwood did it too (but happy that my copy of "Tolkien's Legendarium" is the better-quality first edition, sewn signatures and all).

                                Jason

                                * Let me hasten to note that none of these book-making defects render the *contents* of these books any less valuable. It's just a shame to see publishers cutting corners on books already priced so high.

                              • Wayne G. Hammond
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
                                  Jason wrote:

                                  >Yes, however, I am sad to report that the newer printings also appear to
                                  >be (in Carl's words, of his and Verlyn's collection) "a _scanned_, and
                                  >noticeably reduced-quality, reproduction of the _printed_ text." It's also
                                  >physically smaller than the first edition and printed on lighter paper (it
                                  >almost puts one in mind of a book club edition). I had a borrowed
                                  >first-edition copy from the library at the same time the copy I bought
                                  >arrived, so I was able to compare them side by side. In fact, Jeremy and I
                                  >discussed this very issue back in January 2008, and he concurred that it
                                  >appeared to be photo-reproduced.

                                  I haven't seen a copy of the latest (third) printing, and am sorry to hear
                                  this. I do have a copy of the second printing, which was almost identical
                                  to the first in manufacture except that the British Library came on as U.K.
                                  co-publisher (Oak Knoll by then having absorbed St Paul's Bibliographies).
                                  The third printing was meant only as a stop-gap, however, until I can
                                  finish a second edition.

                                  Wayne

                                • Jeremy Edmonds
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
                                    Wayne wrote:

                                    > I haven't seen a copy of the latest (third) printing, and am sorry to
                                    > hear this. I do have a copy of the second printing, which was almost
                                    > identical to the first in manufacture except that the British Library
                                    > came on as U.K. co-publisher (Oak Knoll by then having absorbed St
                                    > Paul's Bibliographies). The third printing was meant only as a stop-gap,
                                    > however, until I can finish a second edition.

                                    Hi Wayne,

                                    I had a few questions for you - if you seeing a copy of the latest impression from Oak Knoll will help, drop me a note and I can mail you a loaner at any time for you to see.

                                    I have a US copy from 1993 that lists St Pauls as "first published by" - was there a separate British edition prior to the 1st Oak Knoll edition? Is it distinguishable from the Oak Knoll edition?

                                    The latest copies I have from Oak Knoll (I received them about a month ago) say "First edition, second printing, 2002" and mention the British Library instead of St Pauls. Is this what you are calling the third printing (because St Pauls UK was technically the first?) Or did they not change the plates when they scanned the book, so your second printing and my "second printing" are really different? I do agree completely with Jason's analysis of the "new" second printings/third printings, which are easily noticeable.

                                    Jeremy
                                  • Andrew
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
                                      I contacted both authors, and neither had a copy to part with. Good
                                      thing to let bad scholarship die quietly, maybe?

                                      Still, I'd love a copy. Ugh.
                                    • Edith Crowe
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
                                        Apparently that is what happened. Makes me glad I retired from the library
                                        biz when I did--making my inadequate budget stretch far enough was
                                        impossible in 2007; much worse now.

                                        Edith

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
                                          Just to close out some parts of this thread, Greenwood (owned by ABC-Clio now) confirmed with me on the phone that this title is now Print-On-Demand, thus the price increase. For those so inclined to go this route, the publisher's price is $106.95 plus shipping and tax (my shipping estimate was $11 plus California tax brought the total to about $125).

                                          http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/GM1245.aspx

                                          No, I haven't ordered a copy yet.

                                          Thanks again for all the help and lively discussion! And as a side note, I would love to see a second edition of _Legendarium_, and a second edition of the _Bibliography_.

                                          Jeremy
                                        • Jason Fisher
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
                                            Jeremy Edmonds wrote:
                                            > Greenwood [...] confirmed with me on the phone that this title is
                                            > now Print-On-Demand, thus the price increase.

                                            *Thus* the price increase? I thought POD was supposed to cost less, not more. Any number of POD shops I might name could produce the volume for a quarter, perhaps even a fifth the price they are asking. This doesn't make any sense to me.

                                            Jason

                                          • Jeremy Edmonds
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
                                              Jason Fisher said:
                                              > *Thus* the price increase? I thought POD was supposed to cost less, not
                                              > more. Any number of POD shops I might name could produce the volume for a
                                              > quarter, perhaps even a fifth the price they are asking. This doesn't make
                                              > any sense to me.

                                              Can't agree with you more - Lulu.com says a book like this would cost approx $22 for a single copy order. I think the logic goes something like "this allows us to technically keep the book in print so we don't lose rights to it, but makes it inconvenient enough that no-one will bother to actually order a copy." Or something like that.
                                            • Wayne G. Hammond
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 19, 2009
                                                Jeremy,

                                                >I have a US copy from 1993 that lists St Pauls as "first published by" -
                                                >was there a separate British edition prior to the 1st Oak Knoll edition?
                                                >Is it distinguishable from the Oak Knoll edition?

                                                All copies of the first printing have the dual imprint St Paul's
                                                Bibliographies and Oak Knoll Press. St Paul's was primary, with Oak Knoll
                                                co-publishing in the U.S. Oak Knoll later absorbed St Paul's -- in fact,
                                                for my Arthur Ransome bibliography (2000) I signed the contract with St
                                                Paul's but completed production with Oak Knoll. The second printing of the
                                                Tolkien Bibliography has the dual imprint Oak Knoll Press and British
                                                Library, and the "second printing" notice you cite. The copy sent me at the
                                                time is printed by ordinary offset, with no reduction in quality, on a more
                                                cream-colored paper and with a little heavier inking (an improvement),
                                                though is more tightly bound (not an improvement) in a similar blue cloth
                                                with similar silver stamping. If you have a recent copy still with "second
                                                printing", then Oak Knoll must have run off more copies photographically
                                                without changing the copyright page information. I count a third printing
                                                because Oak Knoll told me they were going back to press pending a second
                                                edition, since the book continues to sell (if slowly).

                                                Wayne