Re: Charles Williams

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 17 4:44 AM
      John,

      Try Gustav Meyrink's The Golem (1915). It's just one novel and so wouldn't tide you over much, I guess; but to me, it very much has a Charles Williams feel. It's kind of a spiritual horror set in the Jewish ghetto of Prague. Borges was a big fan of the novel, but it's been largely forgotten since.

      Jason

      ________________________________
      From: "John Davis" <john@jdavis. co.uk>

      > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
      > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
      > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
      > rather sad...
      >
      > John

      Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 17 9:33 PM
        In that case, I'd suggest you go behind Williams and give Algernon
        Blackwood's JOHN SILENCE a try. And also Wm Yeats' "Rosa
        Alchemica" (most easily found, with two related tales, in MYTHOLOGIES
        [1959]). Some Arthur Machen stories also hover close to that territory.
        If it had been the supernatural suspense that hooked you, I'd
        have suggested Sax Rohmer.
        I don't think there's anybody who's quite like Williams, though.
        --John R.

        On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:22 AM, John Davis wrote:
        > Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams'
        > books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem
        > more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality
        > rather than church.
      • John Davis
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 18 1:11 AM
          Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll give them all a try.

          John