Re: [mythsoc] Charles Williams

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
      Hi Berni,

      Thanks for that - I'll give them a try.

      Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

      John

      From: "John Davis" <john@...>

      > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
      > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
      > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
      > rather sad...
      >
      > John

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
        John,

        Try Gustav Meyrink's The Golem (1915). It's just one novel and so wouldn't tide you over much, I guess; but to me, it very much has a Charles Williams feel. It's kind of a spiritual horror set in the Jewish ghetto of Prague. Borges was a big fan of the novel, but it's been largely forgotten since.

        Jason

        ________________________________
        Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

        John

        > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
        > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
        > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
        > rather sad...
        >
        > John

        Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
          In that case, I'd suggest you go behind Williams and give Algernon
          Blackwood's JOHN SILENCE a try. And also Wm Yeats' "Rosa
          Alchemica" (most easily found, with two related tales, in MYTHOLOGIES
          [1959]). Some Arthur Machen stories also hover close to that territory.
          If it had been the supernatural suspense that hooked you, I'd
          have suggested Sax Rohmer.
          I don't think there's anybody who's quite like Williams, though.
          --John R.

          On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:22 AM, John Davis wrote:
          > Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams'
          > books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem
          > more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality
          > rather than church.
        • John Davis
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
            Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll give them all a try.

            John