Re: [mythsoc] Charles Williams

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
      You might enjoy the books of Tim Powers. His _Declare_ is the novel which
      most shows his Christianity. (He's a Catholic Christian.) All of his
      novels are good. Also James Blaylock's novels might be your cup of tea,
      particularly _The Paper Grail_.

      Berni

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
        Hi Berni,

        Thanks for that - I'll give them a try.

        Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

        John

        > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
        > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
        > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
        > rather sad...
        >
        > John

      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
          John,

          Try Gustav Meyrink's The Golem (1915). It's just one novel and so wouldn't tide you over much, I guess; but to me, it very much has a Charles Williams feel. It's kind of a spiritual horror set in the Jewish ghetto of Prague. Borges was a big fan of the novel, but it's been largely forgotten since.

          Jason

          ________________________________
          Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

          John

          > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
          > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
          > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
          > rather sad...
          >
          > John

          Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len

        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
            In that case, I'd suggest you go behind Williams and give Algernon
            Blackwood's JOHN SILENCE a try. And also Wm Yeats' "Rosa
            Alchemica" (most easily found, with two related tales, in MYTHOLOGIES
            [1959]). Some Arthur Machen stories also hover close to that territory.
            If it had been the supernatural suspense that hooked you, I'd
            have suggested Sax Rohmer.
            I don't think there's anybody who's quite like Williams, though.
            --John R.

            On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:22 AM, John Davis wrote:
            > Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams'
            > books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem
            > more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality
            > rather than church.
          • John Davis
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
              Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll give them all a try.

              John