Charles Williams

  • John Davis
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
      Hi,

      (Not sure if this is off-topic of not - if so, many apologies...)

      Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books rather sad...

      John

    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
        You might enjoy the books of Tim Powers. His _Declare_ is the novel which
        most shows his Christianity. (He's a Catholic Christian.) All of his
        novels are good. Also James Blaylock's novels might be your cup of tea,
        particularly _The Paper Grail_.

        Berni

        > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
        > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
        > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
        > rather sad...
        >
        > John
      • John Davis
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
          Hi Berni,

          Thanks for that - I'll give them a try.

          Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

          John

          > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
          > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
          > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
          > rather sad...
          >
          > John

        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
            John,

            Try Gustav Meyrink's The Golem (1915). It's just one novel and so wouldn't tide you over much, I guess; but to me, it very much has a Charles Williams feel. It's kind of a spiritual horror set in the Jewish ghetto of Prague. Borges was a big fan of the novel, but it's been largely forgotten since.

            Jason

            ________________________________
            Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

            John

            > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
            > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
            > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
            > rather sad...
            >
            > John

            Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len

          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
              In that case, I'd suggest you go behind Williams and give Algernon
              Blackwood's JOHN SILENCE a try. And also Wm Yeats' "Rosa
              Alchemica" (most easily found, with two related tales, in MYTHOLOGIES
              [1959]). Some Arthur Machen stories also hover close to that territory.
              If it had been the supernatural suspense that hooked you, I'd
              have suggested Sax Rohmer.
              I don't think there's anybody who's quite like Williams, though.
              --John R.

              On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:22 AM, John Davis wrote:
              > Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams'
              > books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem
              > more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality
              > rather than church.
            • John Davis
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll give them all a try.

                John