RE: [mythsoc] Number of Tolkien fans worldwide?

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
      David Bratman wrote:

      > But am I therefore likely to see some film about Tolkien nine times?

      Probably not, if they are anything like the Jackson films!

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
        Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that fills me
        with horror. But I had good reasons.

        The first time was to see what all the fuss was about.

        The second time was because I couldn't believe my eyes the first time.

        The third time was to see how the Extended Edition was different. Not
        enough.

        The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered to play
        "Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.

        And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay denouncing
        the whole enterprise.

        >> But am I therefore likely to see some film about Tolkien nine times?
        >
        > Probably not, if they are anything like the Jackson films!

      • Marc Drayer
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
          Well, it could be worse. You could have seen the Bakshi film five
          times, or worse, the Rankin-Bass debacle ROTK. Remember
          Saruman/Aruman with his twenty pounds of hair? Sounding like a gecko
          with a sore throat?

          Marc

          > Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that
          fills me
          > with horror. But I had good reasons.
          >
          > The first time was to see what all the fuss was about.
          >
          > The second time was because I couldn't believe my eyes the first
          time.

          > The third time was to see how the Extended Edition was different.
          Not
          > enough.
          >
          > The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered
          to play
          > "Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.
          >
          > And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay
          denouncing
          > the whole enterprise.

          Groups Links

        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
            >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
            >
            >Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that fills me
            >with horror. But I had good reasons.
            > [...]
            >The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered to play
            >"Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.

            Yes, I still chuckle when I think, "It's still round!"

            >And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay denouncing
            >the whole enterprise.

            And such an excellent essay it was, too. Consider your sacrifice to have been well worth it.

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com