RE: [mythsoc] Number of Tolkien fans worldwide?

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
      David, I definitely think that you count as nine Tolkien fans! :-)

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
        "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

        > David, I definitely think that you count as nine Tolkien fans! :-)

        But am I therefore likely to see some film about Tolkien nine times?
      • Doug Kane
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
          David Bratman wrote:

          > But am I therefore likely to see some film about Tolkien nine times?

          Probably not, if they are anything like the Jackson films!

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
            Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that fills me
            with horror. But I had good reasons.

            The first time was to see what all the fuss was about.

            The second time was because I couldn't believe my eyes the first time.

            The third time was to see how the Extended Edition was different. Not
            enough.

            The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered to play
            "Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.

            And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay denouncing
            the whole enterprise.

            >> But am I therefore likely to see some film about Tolkien nine times?
            >
            > Probably not, if they are anything like the Jackson films!

          • Marc Drayer
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
              Well, it could be worse. You could have seen the Bakshi film five
              times, or worse, the Rankin-Bass debacle ROTK. Remember
              Saruman/Aruman with his twenty pounds of hair? Sounding like a gecko
              with a sore throat?

              Marc

              > Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that
              fills me
              > with horror. But I had good reasons.
              >
              > The first time was to see what all the fuss was about.
              >
              > The second time was because I couldn't believe my eyes the first
              time.

              > The third time was to see how the Extended Edition was different.
              Not
              > enough.
              >
              > The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered
              to play
              > "Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.
              >
              > And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay
              denouncing
              > the whole enterprise.

              Groups Links

            • David Emerson
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
                >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
                >
                >Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that fills me
                >with horror. But I had good reasons.
                > [...]
                >The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered to play
                >"Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.

                Yes, I still chuckle when I think, "It's still round!"

                >And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay denouncing
                >the whole enterprise.

                And such an excellent essay it was, too. Consider your sacrifice to have been well worth it.

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com