Re: [mythsoc] Number of Tolkien fans worldwide?

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
      What are you considering to be a Tolkien fan? Someone who's read the book? For the films, someone who's seen them? That's excessively generous. Or, someone who's joined a Tolkien organization? That's probably excessively small.

      Number of copies sold can be suggestive, if only by saying, "Well, a lot of people must like it." But I own more than a few books of which I'd be irked to have it considered that I'm a fan of the author. On the other side, I own nine copies of The Lord of the Rings. (And I'm surprised to find that it's so few: others on this list have a heck of a lot more than that.) Does that make me nine Tolkien fans?

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
        David, I definitely think that you count as nine Tolkien fans! :-)

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
          "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

          > David, I definitely think that you count as nine Tolkien fans! :-)

          But am I therefore likely to see some film about Tolkien nine times?
        • Doug Kane
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
            David Bratman wrote:

            > But am I therefore likely to see some film about Tolkien nine times?

            Probably not, if they are anything like the Jackson films!

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
              Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that fills me
              with horror. But I had good reasons.

              The first time was to see what all the fuss was about.

              The second time was because I couldn't believe my eyes the first time.

              The third time was to see how the Extended Edition was different. Not
              enough.

              The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered to play
              "Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.

              And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay denouncing
              the whole enterprise.

              >> But am I therefore likely to see some film about Tolkien nine times?
              >
              > Probably not, if they are anything like the Jackson films!

            • Marc Drayer
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
                Well, it could be worse. You could have seen the Bakshi film five
                times, or worse, the Rankin-Bass debacle ROTK. Remember
                Saruman/Aruman with his twenty pounds of hair? Sounding like a gecko
                with a sore throat?

                Marc

                > Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that
                fills me
                > with horror. But I had good reasons.
                >
                > The first time was to see what all the fuss was about.
                >
                > The second time was because I couldn't believe my eyes the first
                time.

                > The third time was to see how the Extended Edition was different.
                Not
                > enough.
                >
                > The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered
                to play
                > "Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.
                >
                > And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay
                denouncing
                > the whole enterprise.

                Groups Links

              • David Emerson
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
                  >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
                  >
                  >Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that fills me
                  >with horror. But I had good reasons.
                  > [...]
                  >The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered to play
                  >"Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.

                  Yes, I still chuckle when I think, "It's still round!"

                  >And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay denouncing
                  >the whole enterprise.

                  And such an excellent essay it was, too. Consider your sacrifice to have been well worth it.

                  emerdavid

                  PeoplePC Online
                  A better way to Internet
                  http://www.peoplepc.com