Number of Tolkien fans worldwide?

  • Cole Matson
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
      Do any of you know of any estimates of the number of Tolkien fans
      worldwide? Especially (but not necessarily) with a comparison of fans
      of the books vs. fans of the movies. A friend of mine is working on a
      proposal for a Tolkien-inspired film (NOT a Tolkien adaptation!) and
      is trying to find some rough numbers.

      Thanks,
      Cole Matson
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
        Cole,

        It depends what numbers you're measuring. This list says that The Lord of
        the Rings has sold about 150 million copies:

        _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books_
        (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books)

        The article it refers though is probably talking about the sales of just the
        authorized editions of the book:

        _http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/203389_
        (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/203389)

        At the Tolkien 2005 event in Birmingham, England in August, 2005, one of the
        speakers said that he had just talked with people at Tolkien's British
        publishers, and they thought that there were over 100 million authorized editions
        of the book in print and more like about 150 million total including
        unauthorized editions. So it's difficult to even say how many copies of the book
        have been sold, let alone how many fans there are.

        Wendell Wagner

        now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000002)

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
          What are you considering to be a Tolkien fan? Someone who's read the book? For the films, someone who's seen them? That's excessively generous. Or, someone who's joined a Tolkien organization? That's probably excessively small.

          Number of copies sold can be suggestive, if only by saying, "Well, a lot of people must like it." But I own more than a few books of which I'd be irked to have it considered that I'm a fan of the author. On the other side, I own nine copies of The Lord of the Rings. (And I'm surprised to find that it's so few: others on this list have a heck of a lot more than that.) Does that make me nine Tolkien fans?

          >Do any of you know of any estimates of the number of Tolkien fans
          >worldwide? Especially (but not necessarily) with a comparison of fans
          >of the books vs. fans of the movies. A friend of mine is working on a
          >proposal for a Tolkien-inspired film (NOT a Tolkien adaptation!) and
          >is trying to find some rough numbers.
        • Doug Kane
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
            David, I definitely think that you count as nine Tolkien fans! :-)

            _____

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
              "Doug Kane" <dougkane@...> wrote:

              > David, I definitely think that you count as nine Tolkien fans! :-)

              But am I therefore likely to see some film about Tolkien nine times?
            • Doug Kane
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
                David Bratman wrote:

                > But am I therefore likely to see some film about Tolkien nine times?

                Probably not, if they are anything like the Jackson films!

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
                  Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that fills me
                  with horror. But I had good reasons.

                  The first time was to see what all the fuss was about.

                  The second time was because I couldn't believe my eyes the first time.

                  The third time was to see how the Extended Edition was different. Not
                  enough.

                  The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered to play
                  "Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.

                  And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay denouncing
                  the whole enterprise.

                  >> But am I therefore likely to see some film about Tolkien nine times?
                  >
                  > Probably not, if they are anything like the Jackson films!

                • Marc Drayer
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
                    Well, it could be worse. You could have seen the Bakshi film five
                    times, or worse, the Rankin-Bass debacle ROTK. Remember
                    Saruman/Aruman with his twenty pounds of hair? Sounding like a gecko
                    with a sore throat?

                    Marc

                    > Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that
                    fills me
                    > with horror. But I had good reasons.
                    >
                    > The first time was to see what all the fuss was about.
                    >
                    > The second time was because I couldn't believe my eyes the first
                    time.

                    > The third time was to see how the Extended Edition was different.
                    Not
                    > enough.
                    >
                    > The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered
                    to play
                    > "Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.
                    >
                    > And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay
                    denouncing
                    > the whole enterprise.

                    Groups Links

                  • David Emerson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 14, 2009
                      >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
                      >
                      >Actually, I've seen Jackson's Fellowship five times, a number that fills me
                      >with horror. But I had good reasons.
                      > [...]
                      >The fourth time was at the Nashville Mythcon, when we all gathered to play
                      >"Mystery Science Theatre" on it. Ah, those were the golden hours.

                      Yes, I still chuckle when I think, "It's still round!"

                      >And the fifth time was to check it all over for writing my essay denouncing
                      >the whole enterprise.

                      And such an excellent essay it was, too. Consider your sacrifice to have been well worth it.

                      emerdavid

                      PeoplePC Online
                      A better way to Internet
                      http://www.peoplepc.com