Fwd: Odyssey Writing Workshop 2009

  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2009
      --- Original Message ---
      From: "Susan Sielinski" <susansielinski@...>
      To: <mythsoc-owner@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:50:56 -0500
      Subject: Odyssey Writing Workshop 2009

      Dear Myth Soc List Owner,

      If the members of Myth Soc are interested in writing science fiction,
      fantasy, or horror, they might be interested in the Odyssey Writing
      Workshop. The 2009 workshop will be held from June 8 to July 17 at Saint
      Anselm College in Manchester, New Hampshire.
      Odyssey provides a great opportunity for writers to improve their skills and
      receive feedback from editors and authors. More information can be found in
      the press release below, or on the workshop website www.odysseyworkshop.org
      The director, Jeanne Cavelos
      , is always happy to answer
      questions and discuss the workshop. She can be reached by email at
      jcavelos@....

      I'd appreciate it if you'd consider forwarding this to your list.

      Thank you,

      Susan Sielinski

      Odyssey Administrator

      susansielinski@...

      www.odysseyworkshop.org

      ****************************

      Publicity Release

      January 2009

      ODYSSEY WRITING WORKSHOP

      ANNOUNCES SUMMER 2009 SESSION

      About Odyssey

      Since its inception in 1996, Odyssey has earned a place as one of the most
      respected workshops in the science fiction, fantasy, and horror writing
      community. Odyssey is for developing writers whose work is approaching
      publication quality and for published writers who want to improve their
      work. The six-week workshop combines an intensive learning and writing
      experience with in-depth feedback on student manuscripts. Top authors,
      editors, and agents have served as guest lecturers, including George R. R.
      Martin, Harlan Ellison, Jane Yolen, Terry Brooks, Robert J. Sawyer, Ben
      Bova, Nancy Kress, Elizabeth Hand, Jeff VanderMeer, Donald Maass, Sheila
      Williams, Shawna McCarthy, and Dan Simmons. Fifty-three percent of Odyssey
      graduates go on to professional publication.

      The program is held every summer on Saint Anselm College's beautiful campus
      in Manchester, NH. Saint Anselm is one of the finest liberal arts colleges
      in the country, dedicated to excellence in education, and its campus
      provides a unique, lovely setting and state-of-the art facilities for
      Odyssey students. College credit is available upon request.

      Jeanne Cavelos, Odyssey's director, founder, and primary instructor, is a
      best-selling author and a former senior editor at Bantam Doubleday Dell
      Publishing, where she won the World Fantasy Award for her work. Being a
      writer/editor makes Cavelos uniquely suited to provide students with
      constructive and professional critiques of their work. "I give the same
      unflinchingly honest, concrete, detailed feedback that I provided as a
      senior editor," Cavelos said. Her typewritten critiques average around
      1,000 words, and her handwritten line edits on manuscripts are extensive.
      In addition, she guides students through the six weeks, gaining in-depth
      knowledge of their work, providing detailed assessments of their strengths
      and weaknesses in private meetings, and helping them target their weaknesses
      one by one.

      Odyssey class time is split between workshopping sessions and lectures. An
      advanced, comprehensive curriculum covers the elements of fiction writing in
      depth. Students learn the tools and techniques necessary to strengthen their
      writing.

      The workshop runs from June 8th to July 17th, 2009. Class meets for four
      hours in the morning, five days a week. Students spend about eight hours
      more per day writing and critiquing each

      other's work. Prospective students, aged eighteen and up, apply from all
      over the world. The early admission application deadline is JANUARY 31st,
      and the regular admission deadline is APRIL 8th. Tuition is $1900, and
      housing is $700 for a double room and $1400 for a single.

      Meet Our 2009 Writer-in-Residence

      Odyssey's 2009 writer-in-residence is Carrie Vaughn, New York Times
      bestselling author and Odyssey 1998 graduate
      Carrie is the author of the
      phenomenally popular "Kitty" novels, about a werewolf who hosts a talk radio
      show. The first novel, Kitty and the Midnight Hour has over a hundred
      thousand copies in print. Books five and six of the series, Dead Man's Hand
      and Kitty Raises Hell, will appear in 2009. Carrie's short stories have
      appeared in Realms of Fantasy, Weird Tales, George R. R. Martin's Wild Cards
      series, and other anthologies. She has a Master's degree in English
      Literature from the University of Colorado at Boulder and has been a
      lifelong science fiction fan and reader.

      Other Guest Lecturers

      Odyssey is pleased to welcome its 2009 guest lecturers: bestselling author
      Jeffrey A. Carver; award-winning authors Melissa Scott, Patricia Bray, and
      Jack Ketchum, and Editor-in-Chief of the Ace and Roc science fiction/fantasy
      imprints, Ginjer Buchanan.

      Odyssey Graduates

      If you're reading science fiction, fantasy, and horror, you're reading the
      work of Odyssey graduates. If you've read recent issues of some of the top
      fiction magazines in the field--Realms of Fantasy, Asimov's, Analog, Weird
      Tales, Fantasy Magazine, Intergalactic Medicine Show--you've read stories by
      Odyssey graduates Theodora Goss, David Barr Kirtley, Eric James Stone,
      Clayton Kroh, Larry Hodges, Matthew S. Rotundo, James Maxey, Carrie Vaughn,
      Carl Frederick, and Andrea Kail.

      If you've been to the bookstore lately, you've seen books by Odyssey
      graduates, including Superpowers by David J. Schwartz, published by Random
      House; Dragonforge by James Maxey, published by Solaris Books; Maledicte by
      Lane Robins, published by Del Rey; Bloodstone by Barbara Campbell, published
      by DAW; Red Dragon Codex by R. D. Henham, published by Mirrorstone Books;
      The Mirror by Natalia Lincoln, published by Space & Time Books; The Eunuch's
      Heir by Elaine Isaak, published by HarperCollins; and Kitty and the Silver
      Bullet by Carrie Vaughn, published by Warner.

      Comments from the Class of 2008

      "I sold three novels before I came to Odyssey. I just wish I had gone to
      Odyssey before I wrote them--they would have been better books. Odyssey
      freakin' rocks!"

      --J. Justin Gustainis, author of Evil Ways

      "You will never be more eager to work yourself to the bone. Nor will you
      have as much reward for doing it. The six weeks at Odyssey have done more
      for my writing career than my bachelor's degree in creative writing. I only
      wish I'd known about it sooner."

      --Breanna Wojcik

      Other Odyssey Resources and Services

      The Odyssey website www.odysseyworkshop.org
      offers free podcasts, writing and publishing tips, a class syllabus, and
      more information about how to apply. An overview of the Odyssey Critique
      Service is also available on the website at
      http://www.sff.net/odyssey/crit.html. This service provides authors with
      professional-level feedback on their writing, done with the thoroughness and
      depth for which Odyssey is known.

      Those interested in applying to the workshop should visit the website,
      phone/fax (603) 673-6234, or e-mail jcavelos@....
    • Ellen
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2009
        I attended Odyssey in 2006 and highly recommend it. I thought I knew a
        few things about writing, but I learned enough in the first week that if
        I had to go home right then, I still would have gotten my money's
        worth. And it just got better from there. If anyone has questions
        about my Odyssey experience, feel free to email me off list.

        Ellen Denham