Journey to the Sea #8

  • hoytrand
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2009
      I have published the eighth issue of my online myth magazine Journey
      to the Sea [http://journeytothesea.com/%5d. This issue includes an
      article by society member Jason Fisher on Alan Garner's *The
      Weirdstone of Brisingamen*, as well as an article on Batman that draws
      on the 2004 Mythopoeic Award winner for General Myth and Fantasy
      Studies (*The Myth of the American Superhero* by John Shelton Lawrence
      and Robert Jewett).

      Enjoy!
      ~Randy

      --------

      Shiva, Lord of the Dance
      http://journeytothesea.com/shiva-lord-of-the-dance/
      ----
      Statues depicting Shiva as *Nataraja*, "Lord of the Dance," portray a
      sense of balance, motion, and sheer beauty to all who view them. Laura
      explores the ways they express narratives to those who can read the
      symbols and allusions.

      Northern Mythological Traditions in *The Weirdstone of Brisingamen*
      http://journeytothesea.com/weirdstone-of-brisingamen/
      ----
      Jason looks at how Alan Garner, a lesser-known fantasy author,
      incorporates northern mythological and folkloric elements into an
      fantasy adventure set in his home county of Cheshire.

      Batman: Dark Knight, Dark Myth
      http://journeytothesea.com/batman-moore-miller/
      ----
      Dave looks at the depictions of Batman in the works of Frank Miller
      and Alan Miller from the 1980s. These two have been instrumental in
      the development of the dark and morally ambiguous tone associated with
      Batman today.